How to run Prospero Fortran on Qemulator version 3.3

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
stevepoole
Super Gold Card

Re: How to run Prospero Fortran on Qemulator version 3.3

Post by stevepoole »

Hi All,

ProPascal also uses a ROM cartridge. Does this mean to say that QPC2 can never exec propascal code ?

I followed the manual installation instructions, but the compiler, exec mdv1_pas, gives 'bad parameter'.

The boot file lbytes the prl file, not the prl.rom ...

Has anybody succeeded in running Propascal under QPC2 ?

Steve.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

stevepoole wrote:Hi All,

ProPascal also uses a ROM cartridge. Does this mean to say that QPC2 can never exec propascal code ?

I followed the manual installation instructions, but the compiler, exec mdv1_pas, gives 'bad parameter'.

The boot file lbytes the prl file, not the prl.rom ...

Has anybody succeeded in running Propascal under QPC2 ?

Steve.

The ProPascal pas compiler doesn't seem to write to the ROM when it's executed (So doesn't give the same problems the Fortran compiler does). It works absolutely fine on QPC2 when you first EPROM_LOAD prl_rom. See further up this thread. Also, see the thread on my "life" program some weeks ago - That was completely written with ProPascal on QPC2.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Maybe the EPROM_LOAD command could be changed to make the rom memory area read only.

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I successfully got Prospero Fortran and Pascal to compile and generate executable files of the supied demo giles, with Qemulator running JS, Minerva 1.98 ROMS.

But loading SMSQ Gold v3.36 does not scan the installed ROMs and the PRL_ROM file has to loaded by the EPROM_LOAD command.

Which the Pascal compiled OK, but not the Fortran, this looks to be because the Prospero F77 code over writing the PRL ROM code.

As I suggested the EPROM_LOAD command requires memory protection of the loaded ROM code.

But I guess that this will not happen, as not many people use SMSQ/E and Prospero Fortran.

Regards,

Derek
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Derek_Stewart wrote: The sQLux uses an sqlux.ini file in the directory the executable starts, instead of the traditional .uqlxrc file. But the config file can be drfined in the command line or icon properties.
Actually it uses that as the highest preference, if you remove sqlux.ini from directory and don't have a .sqluxrc file it will use the old .uqlxrc file!

File supplied with -f is the highest priority if supplied!

Graeme

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have suceeded in getting SMSQ/E working with Q-emulator and Prospero Fortran.

I loaded the PRL ROM as the Q-emulator Back Rom (#C000) and Toolkit 2 as the EXP ROM (#C0000), the main rom is JS_ROM, 640K ram, running full speed.

I have the Fortran files in a QXL.WIN file, as MDV1_ and the Q-emulator ROM directory containing SMSQE_GOLD336_BIN file.

Starting the emulator and issuing the PRL and TK2_EXT commands. I compiled one the demo programmes to see if the system worked, which it did.

I also used NOQNS to remove the 3 defaults prompts. And executing the compiled binary, ran as expected.

Loading SMSQ/E, with:
LRESPR 'mdv2_SMSQE_GOLD336_BIN'

This loaded SMSQ/E v3.36, checked with: PRINT VER$(1)

I entered the PRL command which loaded the Back Rom, I tried compiling and linking another demo programme, which compiled so fast, no prompts were seen.

The linked Prime binary was executed, but needed a prompt to press any key added to the programme and recompile to see the result of the calculation. This because the WMAN is closing the Window and refreshing the screen.

A prompt in the Fortran code to Press Any Key to Exit, cures this.

Clearly, SMSQ/E does clear the ROM Port area, which is sort of a memory protection, pity Other SMSQ/E emulator could pro ide memory protection when a ROM file loaded with EPROM_LOAD.

Regards,

Derek