Tandata Modem BT plug to RJ11

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Cristian
Aurora

Re: Tandata Modem BT plug to RJ11

Post by Cristian »

Some updates and new tests.
One of the problems is that I tried 4 different versions of Tandata Qconnect software with 2 different machines (Trumpcard+JM, SGoldcard+Minerva+Hermes), and they all don't run. I'm getting "out of memory" errors or other errors. Therefore I'm using "Qualsoft Terminal" and, at least for the moment, I couldn't find any "dial tone detection" setting, both in the software and in the modem manual. I haven't already managed to type manually a phone number with this software: I have to find and read carefully its manual.
I found a plug adapter allowing to connect both modem cable and telephone cable. From the handset I can clearly hear the pulses from the modem. The pulses are mixed with the normal signal you hear when put a handset to your ear. Obviously I tried also with the handset hung and with the telephone unplugged. I made a phone call with an old rotatory telephone, and it works normally. For some reason, apparently the line ignores the pulses recerived from modem.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Cristian,

I used to use the Tandata Qconnect module with a Hayes Standard modem connected to the Qconnect RS232 socket for a BBS, till I realised that using Hermes, I could connect modem to SER2.

But going back to the Tandata setup, I never had a Qdail modem, just used the Qmodem module for Viewdata connections.

From what I remember, as already stated, there is only 2 wires to connected to the POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) network, the other 2 outer wires can be unconnected. The orientation of the inner wires, in the UK BT network appears to be unimportant, as detailed in PROF's link. But I would try either way around for the Italian Telephone system.

There will be a section on the Qconnect software to control the modem, which may use a modem initialisation string before diaing the number:

ATDT<number)

Which is AT - D =dial - T = Tone dilaing - telephone number

One point, unless the Italian Telephone system does not use Tone dilaing, you much enable Tone dialing on the dialing string, Pulse dilaing will not work...

there will be other commands to setup the Qmodem and Qdial units to control the LEDS and functionality, I have not got a manual at present, but I will see if I can find it, there should be details of how to configure the Qmodem and Qdial units from a Phonebook, where each entry has modem and dial characteristics associated.

As I mentioned abve a faster speed modem can be attached to the Qconnect RS232 socket, which allows better modems to be used.
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Sat May 02, 2020 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Derek
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

What needs to happen:
(a and are the two wires from the exchange)
  1. Modem on hook: phone lines are open, a and b not connecting to anything
  2. Modem "picks up the receiver" - a and be connected through modem's loudspeaker (if it has one...) - you should hear a dial tone. This lets the exchange know you want to dial
  3. Pulse dial: modem disconnects the loop (a/b connection) in intervals of 10 pulses/s (these are the pulses you hear on a handset)
Depending on your Y cable, the handset you attached could work with or break the whole process. Some Y cables are specifically designed to have only one phone to be connected to the line at a time (to inhibit other connected handsets to spy on a call in progress).

Does the Tandata understand the standard Hayes command set? Do you have the full Tandata stack or only the modem (things might be different then)

If you have Q-Mod only, you will definitely have to have a parallel handset connected to be able to establish the call. Q-Mod will not do that and relies on an already established call.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Derek_Stewart wrote: There will be a section on the Qconnect software
I tried 4 versions of Qconnect software, and they all don't run. I'll try to download them again. For the moment I'm stuck with "QL Terminal".
Fortunately my phone line supports both pulses and tones.
Thank you again for your suggestions.

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

tofro wrote: Does the Tandata understand the standard Hayes command set? Do you have the full Tandata stack or only the modem (things might be different then)
Thanks for your help.
I'll investigate about Hayes command set support. I do have the full stack. Anyway, it has beeen stored in a box for years and there is always the possibility it is defective...

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

Cristian wrote: Thanks for your help.
I'll investigate about Hayes command set support. I do have the full stack. Anyway, it has beeen stored in a box for years and there is always the possibility it is defective...
You might try my QCON driver to connect a Hayes-compatible modem to the Qconnect interface: http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/internet/QCON_Driver_v0_99.zip
The Q-mod module is AFAIK not Hayes-compatible and supports only 1200/75 bps V.23 mode: https://wiki.qlforum.co.uk/doku.php?id= ... data_modem
Best terminal software to use is QTPI; it's a PE-driven application. However I recently ran into a bug that causes it to hang with downloads on SMSQ/E because of a 'division by zero' exception which is treated differenly by QDOS and SMSQ/E.

Jan

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Thanks Jan for your suggestions.
I tried also QTPI with QL+SGoldard+Minerva and QL+Trumpcard, with or without Sermouse. The progeam starts, but it is impossible to move the mouse arrow, even with the arrow keys. Apparently it does not react to any keyboard imput.

Anyway, finally I found another working suitable software, which has also dedicated settings for Tandata Qmod. The modem seems to respond correctly to the very first tests and, throuh a connected handset, I could hear the pulses arriving to the phone line. Now, I suppose the only real is to try to connect to a BBS; I don't know what else I could try.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

janbredenbeek wrote: You might try my QCON driver to connect a Hayes-compatible modem to the Qconnect interface: http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/internet/QCON_Driver_v0_99.zip
The Q-mod module is AFAIK not Hayes-compatible and supports only 1200/75 bps V.23 mode: https://wiki.qlforum.co.uk/doku.php?id= ... data_modem
Best terminal software to use is QTPI; it's a PE-driven application. However I recently ran into a bug that causes it to hang with downloads on SMSQ/E because of a 'division by zero' exception which is treated differenly by QDOS and SMSQ/E.

Jan
HI,

I used to use Jan's QCON driver with a Amstrad SM2400 conneced to the Qconnect RS232 Interface, which I initially used QEM v4.25 terminal software: http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/internet/qem425.zip

Which allows non-ponter interface use of the terminal software and is similiar to QTPI, but QTPI has had more development.

I later went on to use US Robotics Modems with higher baud rates, and had a BBS using QBOX and PBOX. I still have these modems, in storage, but no one uses modems due to the slow speed transfer.

I have thought about restroing my old BBS, but maybe a web site is better.

Regards,

Derek
janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

Cristian wrote:Thanks Jan for your suggestions.
I tried also QTPI with QL+SGoldard+Minerva and QL+Trumpcard, with or without Sermouse. The progeam starts, but it is impossible to move the mouse arrow, even with the arrow keys. Apparently it does not react to any keyboard imput.
Doesn't it respond to function keys Shift-F1 to Shift-F4?
Anyway, finally I found another working suitable software, which has also dedicated settings for Tandata Qmod. The modem seems to respond correctly to the very first tests and, throuh a connected handset, I could hear the pulses arriving to the phone line. Now, I suppose the only real is to try to connect to a BBS; I don't know what else I could try.
You could try setting up a ready-made QBOX system on an emulator (see https://github.com/SinclairQL/QBOX). Change QSPIL driver from QSPILTCP to QSPHAYES to use it on a serial port. You would need two modems, but you can also use a null modem cable and fool QSPHAYES by blindly typing "CONNECT 9600" on your terminal program :) .

Jan

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

Derek_Stewart wrote: I used to use Jan's QCON driver with a Amstrad SM2400 conneced to the Qconnect RS232 Interface, which I initially used QEM v4.25 terminal software: http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/internet/qem425.zip
Which allows non-ponter interface use of the terminal software and is similiar to QTPI, but QTPI has had more development.
I do have the sources of QTPI but it's missing a few include files so haven't been able to recompile. There is a bug in the xpr library that causes a 'division by zero' exception - which isn't a problem on QDOS since it simply ignores it as long as you don't redefine the vectors, but on SMSQ/E it goes into an endless loop :(
I later went on to use US Robotics Modems with higher baud rates, and had a BBS using QBOX and PBOX. I still have these modems, in storage, but no one uses modems due to the slow speed transfer.
Same here - If I want I could still run a BBS with one modem and call it with another, but only locally on the internet router's phone ports. Connecting with analogue modems over a VoIP line doesn't work out quite well :(

Jan