Tandata Modem BT plug to RJ11

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Cristian
Aurora

Tandata Modem BT plug to RJ11

Post by Cristian »

Hi,
I'm trying to make a BT to RJ11 (Italian telephone) adapter for Tandata Q MOD modem. I'm not experienced about modem signals, and unfortunately the information from the Internet are not always clear and sometimes contradictory. The adapter I quickly made does not seem to work... I attach here below the wiring scheme. Could someone give me suggestions please?
And which is the best software for Tandata modem to be used with QL+SGoldcard or QL+Trumpcard?
Thank you in advance.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Tandata Modem BT plug to RJ11

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Cristan,

What is the dfintion of the Italian telephone wiring?

Regards,

Derek
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

This is the uk wiring on the 'master' socket - only 2,3 and 5 are used - 2 and 5 carry the 48v line, and pin 3 carries the ringing signal:

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wirin ... phone.html

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Derek_Stewart wrote: What is the dfintion of the Italian telephone wiring?
Here are some diagrams I found for Italian RJ11 connector. Unfotunately they are in Italian, anyway the colors for the cable should help. I hope they are understandable; if not, I'll try to translate.
It seems only 2 wires in the middle are connected, but the modem cable has 4 wires. The "seize" Led is constantly on, and the "QL Terminal" software says "offline" and "waiting for carrier".

The following is a phone socket diagram. The yellow wire is described as "not used", the black wire is described as usually not connected, only utilized to "take the outgoing signal in serial configuration lines":

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Cristian wrote:Hi,
I'm trying to make a BT to RJ11 (Italian telephone) adapter for Tandata Q MOD modem. I'm not experienced about modem signals, and unfortunately the information from the Internet are not always clear and sometimes contradictory. The adapter I quickly made does not seem to work... I attach here below the wiring scheme. Could someone give me suggestions please?
And which is the best software for Tandata modem to be used with QL+SGoldcard or QL+Trumpcard?
Thank you in advance.

This looks correct from my limited knowledge.

Did the Tandata have dial tone detection, I used to have to turn that off on old modems when connected to modern phone systems?

Only 2 wires are needed, 2,5 in the UK 6 pin plug. Bell wire is only there to support old rotary phones :-D

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Cristian wrote:Hi,
I'm trying to make a BT to RJ11 (Italian telephone) adapter for Tandata Q MOD modem. <>
My brother is an international traveller. Im sure he knows no more of electronics than the authors of the Bible. Back in the day when telephone modems were the norm, wherever he was in the world he always seemed to be able to connect up. Ive frequently watched him at work:
The far end of his modem cable was just the stripped wires. If possible hed get a local plug, plug it into the telephone socked and strip the wires off the other end, and then (to my horror!) hed fiddle around with the wires until his modem sounded the dial tone. Bingo!
I dont know whether he ever blew up a telephone exchange or anything drastic, so I couldnt possibly recommend it......

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

Hmm, in Germany, there are just two wires to connect from the line. Which connections have I to use? I always use just two for my ZyXel.

4E75 7000
Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

pjw wrote: I dont know whether he ever blew up a telephone exchange or anything drastic, so I couldnt possibly recommend it......
It's official: your brother is my hero :-) I wish I were so courageous

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Thank you XorA for your suggestions.
Many new questions come to my mind: the two needed wires may be inverted? Should I keep the other 2 wires or should I cut them?
I'll do some tests.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Cristian wrote:Thank you XorA for your suggestions.
Many new questions come to my mind: the two needed wires may be inverted? Should I keep the other 2 wires or should I cut them?
I'll do some tests.
Cristian,

polarity shouldn't normally matter, at least not with devices that follow the standard.

You seem to be expecting something to change (in your status LEDs or your terminal program) when the modem is properly connected to the phone line.
That expectation is wrong - You will only see "on line" when the modem is actually connected to a proper far end modem.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO