International Cricket by Nigel Holder

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: International Cricket by Nigel Holder

Post by vanpeebles »

I love your art style Nigel!!

robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

dilwyn wrote: Rob Heaton, one of the foundersof this forum, is a darts fanatic!
It's true!
Having a darts game for the QL released would be ace!

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

I'd love to have a go at the darts and golf. Do you still have the 128k version Nigel (or Rich) for a bare bones QL?

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Hi Nigel. Glad to see you in these forums - I always admired your software back in the day. Really pushed the QL to its limits :)

I loved the graphics on Cricket but found it too hard to play. Assault and Battery was amazing though, best arcade game on the QL in my opinion. Speedfreaks was great fun too.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
NigelHolder
ROM Dongle

Post by NigelHolder »

dilwyn wrote:
NigelHolder wrote:Hi chaps. I was in the garage yesterday and spotted an old QL in a box, which later inspired me to return to this forum. I wish I had seen this thread sooner, last year I was looking for a screenshot of my cricket game to show to a friend. I totally forgot about the darts game I wrote all those years ago, and a golf game that was a failed attempt to replicate Leaderboard on the C64. I remember struggling with the 3D graphics for a while and I'm sure it won't have stood the test of time. Anyway, what do you need, if anything?
Hello Nigel,
You may have seen the comment on here from Rich Mellor in 2018 about getting your Darts program re-released. Rob Heaton, one of the foundersof this forum, is a darts fanatic!

Over the years, we've tried to get permission to re-release old QL software as freeware where possible - Rich Mellor has been quite a driving force behind this. If you still have copies of any of your programs, we would be very grateful and ready to make them available.
Hi Dilwyn,

I am happy for my games to be re-released as freeware. I hope you have copies of whatever you need because my QL stuff hasn't survived too well in the garage & loft. I wish I had taken better care of it :cry:

NigelHolder
ROM Dongle

Post by NigelHolder »

Sparrowhawk wrote:Hi Nigel. Glad to see you in these forums - I always admired your software back in the day. Really pushed the QL to its limits :)

I loved the graphics on Cricket but found it too hard to play. Assault and Battery was amazing though, best arcade game on the QL in my opinion. Speedfreaks was great fun too.
On reflection I got the difficulty wrong in the cricket game. I had a friend test it and he did really well right from the start, so that's the difficulty level I went with. Over the next few years we both realised that he's freakishly good at keyboard games, so he probably wasn't the ideal tester.

NigelHolder
ROM Dongle

Post by NigelHolder »

Chr$ wrote:I'd love to have a go at the darts and golf. Do you still have the 128k version Nigel (or Rich) for a bare bones QL?
I wish I did but after I started writing stuff for other computers I didn't take good enough care of my QL stuff. I hope you manage to find what you need though.

NigelHolder
ROM Dongle

Post by NigelHolder »

vanpeebles wrote:I love your art style Nigel!!
Thanks. The graphics in the cricket game were inspired by a cricket calendar that someone sent my dad as a present. I was really happy with how it turned out, visually. I should have made it much easier to play though.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Do you have any code or documents? It’s possible that someone might be able to savlvage the microdrive cartridges etc.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

NigelHolder wrote:
dilwyn wrote:
NigelHolder wrote:Hi chaps. I was in the garage yesterday and spotted an old QL in a box, which later inspired me to return to this forum. I wish I had seen this thread sooner, last year I was looking for a screenshot of my cricket game to show to a friend. I totally forgot about the darts game I wrote all those years ago, and a golf game that was a failed attempt to replicate Leaderboard on the C64. I remember struggling with the 3D graphics for a while and I'm sure it won't have stood the test of time. Anyway, what do you need, if anything?
Hello Nigel,
You may have seen the comment on here from Rich Mellor in 2018 about getting your Darts program re-released. Rob Heaton, one of the foundersof this forum, is a darts fanatic!

Over the years, we've tried to get permission to re-release old QL software as freeware where possible - Rich Mellor has been quite a driving force behind this. If you still have copies of any of your programs, we would be very grateful and ready to make them available.
Hi Dilwyn,

I am happy for my games to be re-released as freeware. I hope you have copies of whatever you need because my QL stuff hasn't survived too well in the garage & loft. I wish I had taken better care of it :cry:
Thank you Nigel.

International Cricket and Bullshot are available on games page of my website http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/games/index.html (Bullshot is under "Darts").