KryoFlux USB floppy controller

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Cristian
Aurora

KryoFlux USB floppy controller

Post by Cristian »

Did you know this modern USB floppy controller? It is not so cheap, but seems very nice:
https://webstore.kryoflux.com/catalog/p ... ucts_id=28

RalfR
Aurora

Re: KryoFlux USB floppy controller

Post by RalfR »

I use this one on my PC. It includes a NEC controller and works without problems:

https://www.pollin.de/p/disketten-laufw ... arz-703377

OK, not so sophisticated... ;)

4E75 7000
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Cristian,

Kryoflux is a nice and (even if expensive) very essential gadget for people who use old 68k Macs and Amigas that use disk systems with formats impossible to read and write on modern kit.

I used to have one I needed for an original Mac 128k - No other way to get software onto it from a PC if you didn't own "medium-aged" 68k Macs that could act as a bridge between technologies.

For QL people, it's fortunately not soooo essential. The QL disk systems have always used standard modulation schemes and formats that can be read and written using standard IBM PC technology. It's actually still rather easy to find USB floppy drives that support the QL DD formats, even some very, very cheap China ones.
Beyond that, there's always the possibility to use a Gotek emulator with QL disk systems.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

RalfR wrote:I use this one on my PC. https://www.pollin.de/p/disketten-laufw ... arz-703377
Yes, I already have one similar. It costed 10 euros (shipment included) and works perfectly with PC and Qemulator.

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

tofro wrote:for people who use old 68k Macs and Amigas that use disk systems with formats impossible to read and write on modern kit.
Yes, I suppose this is the main goal.
tofro wrote:For QL people, it's fortunately not soooo essential.
Yes, I agree
tofro wrote: It's actually still rather easy to find USB floppy drives that support the QL DD formats
And aso HD
tofro wrote: Beyond that, there's always the possibility to use a Gotek emulator
I have one, an works fine especially wit the updated firmware, which improves and adds new features. Obviously, the Gotek emulator itself can't read/recover data from floppy disk. Anyway, for me it's a great device.

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

Cristian wrote:
RalfR wrote:I use this one on my PC. https://www.pollin.de/p/disketten-laufw ... arz-703377
Yes, I already have one similar. It costed 10 euros (shipment included) and works perfectly with PC and Qemulator.
Now, my old one has crashed onto the floor and does not work anymore (so...don't do it :D ). So I have bought a new one, Freecom branded, this has the same 3,5 floppy from Mitsumi UFDD 061M inside, but does not work with DD disks. I have read, that these Mitsumi drives make a lot of problems, but as the old one has worked, it seems to be a problem with the adapter inside.

4E75 7000
Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

RalfR wrote:I have bought a new one, Freecom branded, this has the same 3,5 floppy from Mitsumi UFDD 061M inside, but does not work with DD disks
Probably several USB drives are limited to 1,44MB. A matter of firmware? I don't know. I suppose the best way is to ask always the seller about the format details, when not specified.

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

Cristian wrote:
RalfR wrote:I have bought a new one, Freecom branded, this has the same 3,5 floppy from Mitsumi UFDD 061M inside, but does not work with DD disks
Probably several USB drives are limited to 1,44MB. A matter of firmware? I don't know. I suppose the best way is to ask always the seller about the format details, when not specified.
I now have ordered three different ones, hopefully one will work ;) .

4E75 7000
klausfrank
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by klausfrank »

I have been lucky to find two very cheep ones. I think I paid £1 and £2 for them at the flee market.
They both handle DD and HD
E06BCCA2-3D58-46FD-B0CE-FC21148EC189.jpeg
6DE282EC-1ECA-4F9A-BB61-67689CF5A127.jpeg
I use them mainly with my desktop and labtop with QPC transferring stuff from the PC to the QL. The windows stuff is placed on the first floor and my QLs are placed in the QL cave in the basement. It’s a family agreement - a sort of peace treaty. :) :)
Sometimes I have an issue using the HD format. I can format HD with QPC but I cant read the files with the SGC - but using the DD no problems.

Stay safe.
Attachments
856EB13F-3C90-4472-A8C1-ED31AD15714F.jpeg
E69A75EC-E55C-45A4-B44A-30DFF5F8D716.jpeg

Mad Fritz
ROM Dongle

Post by Mad Fritz »

klausfrank wrote: Sometimes I have an issue using the HD format. I can format HD with QPC but I cant read the files with the SGC - but using the DD no problems.
In my case using SMSQ/E solved the problems with HD-formatted discs - I was unable to read from / write to them on a real QL under QDOS reliably, no problems at all under SMSQ/E.

BR & Stay safe

Andy