BJ The Return, code entry

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

BJ The Return, code entry

Post by Chr$ »

Does anyone remember the code protection entry process for the game BJ Returns?

I have the original:
20200324_123344_resized.jpg
On the inside of the cassette box inlay there is a label containing a big grid of letters and numbers. The Y axis is upper case A to O and the X axis is upper case A to Z then lower case a to z then numbers 0 to 9. The characters in the grid are also different colours and the label has the number 167663 printed top left.

My original cart was corrupt so Rich RWAP was kind enough to send me an mdv image of the same.

Trying it out on Qemulator at this stage, I can't get past the code entry:
Image1.jpg
7,M on my chart is an orange 'Y'. But, as you can see, that is apparently incorrect.

I wonder if the colours are in some way significant - on the chart it makes a point of printing *RED* and *ORANGE* in those colours so that you can tell the difference. Or perhaps there were different versions of the software with different code charts (my original cart has * NOV 85* on it). Or maybe there is an issue with qemulator compatibility.

Anyone else got the original chart/cart for comparison?

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
RalfR
Aurora

Re: BJ The Return, code entry

Post by RalfR »

Must be Eidersoft (I think), who has written the protection scheme, as all other games from Janko are not protected (perhaps QL.Cavern with TTs FLRUN protection...)

Seems someone has to start his dissassembler.... ;)

4E75 7000
Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Chr$ wrote: On the inside of the cassette box inlay there is a label containing a big grid of letters and numbers. The Y axis is upper case A to O and the X axis is upper case A to Z then lower case a to z then numbers 0 to 9. The characters in the grid are also different colours and the label has the number 167663 printed top left.
Very strange - I have the original but there is no label on the inlay !!

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

The back of the inlay is empty and the front has no grid of letters and numbers
Attachments
IMG_20200324_144728.jpg

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

Interesting, the lablel states "128k upwards" Does it run with 640k? QL.Cavern (as far as I know) just with 128k.

4E75 7000
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Andrew wrote:The back of the inlay is empty and the front has no grid of letters and numbers
What is the date on your cartridge label?

And did it ever work for you? I assume the original cart is non functioning by now? Perhaps your code grid was a separate insert.

This is mine, deliberately blurred because we don't want to infringe rights for incredibly lucrative original QL software, do we now.
20200324_143619_resized.jpg
The Win a Disk System thing advertised on the front has no mention inside, so I suppose something must be missing in mine.

If it ever works I'll see if it works with 640k, 896k, and 2mb GC RAM!

Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Date on the cartridge is Nov 85
I have not tested the original cartridge - it needs re-felting.
The copy is poorer condition - the tape looks crumpled.
I just used the game that Rich sent me

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Andrew wrote: I just used the game that Rich sent me
On qemulator? But it should ask for a code when it starts, unless you have a different mdv image. I didn't think there was a cracked one.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Chr$ wrote:
Andrew wrote: I just used the game that Rich sent me
On qemulator? But it should ask for a code when it starts, unless you have a different mdv image. I didn't think there was a cracked one.
My bad - my version is not from Rich, as it is not in mdv format. And it is cracked. It runs with JS ROM, but not with Minerva
Attachments
BJ.jpg

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Gotcha. Well if anyone ever sees this with an original copy - please let me know if your cartridge date or code chart (with 167663 top left) is different to mine! In the mean time I will try my mdv on a BBQL in standard form and see how that goes.