QL PSU

Looking for that hard to find item? Post here!
Raptor
ROM Dongle

QL PSU

Post by Raptor »

Hi ,
I am looking for a QL PSU . Have just acquired a QL which is working as seller has had it running on his PSU did other QL but this one has no PSU.

Would love to get this working without hacking the board to get it powered

Andy

Cristian
Aurora

Re: QL PSU

Post by Cristian »

Recently I made some enhanced PSUs. The aim was getting more power but less heat, without touching the QL motherboard.
The power range is from 3 Ampere to 5,6 Ampere. The two units in the middle are still available, but I'm afraid the main problem would be the shipping costs (from Italy).

Raptor
ROM Dongle

Post by Raptor »

I am based in the UK I’m sure the shipping on ups or dhl would not be massive . Even in post could be less than £30 . I shipped a drone back to China before that weighed a kilo and that was £27. If you can give me some prices that would be great

Ruptor
Gold Card

Post by Ruptor »

If you want to knock up a PSU you could use an AC to DC module and a DC to DC. The AC to DC gives the 15V DC and the DC to DC gives the 9V the only problem is the connector to the QL. :roll:
I was looking at these boards for something else with different voltages but the principal is the same and cheap.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4A-To-6A-24V ... 3810939995
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LM2596S-DC-D ... SwSmddQPsj

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Ruptor wrote:The AC to DC gives the 15V DC
No! The QL needs 15V AC ! Be careful!

Ruptor
Gold Card

Post by Ruptor »

Cristian wrote:
Ruptor wrote:The AC to DC gives the 15V DC
No! The QL needs 15V AC ! Be careful!
Sorry about that I forgot even though I measured it myself a month ago. :oops: The AC makes it awkward & expensive these days since small transformers seem to be a thing of the past. The 200 mA current is also high so not such a small transformer. If my transformer ever goes I think I would go the route erroneously suggested above and run DC supply wires out to a DC to DC module of the right voltage for each.
Mind you my PSU and everything else might be up for sale if my ROM replacement doesn't fix the QL.
Can a standard PC supply be used for all the DC voltages required? Just asking since I guess the answer has already been given somewhere before.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

One possible solution to the lack of an AC supply would be one of those 5V to +/- 12V switch mode boards - they are around on ebay.

To use one of these, you would need to unsolder the 2 12V regulator devices that provide the +12V and -12v supply and wire in your outputs from the board - then take a 5v and ground feed to power the DC-DC converter.

You still need 9V feed as the microdrives and any plug in cards may still need to use that to produce their own supplies.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Raptor wrote:If you can give me some prices that would be great
I'll tell you more information and details via PM today

Raptor
ROM Dongle

Post by Raptor »

I was lucky enough in the end to find a QL PSU fully working Tandata stack so have those and QL psu with with them .