Psion Software with Gold Card

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
RalfR
Aurora

Re: Psion Software with Gold Card

Post by RalfR »

Ah sorry, of course I have meant RECHP.

As long as you EW, you can't reach it, but it is, what you will do, don't you?. That's what I have meant.

4E75 7000
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Well, the Psion applications aren't (other than XChange, for example) if not suitably patched, really well suited for multitasking.

So, for a stock Quill or Abacus, what I have proposed is the way to go. Start Quill, use it, stop using it. There's no point in releasing the grabbed memory before you're done with Quill, because you can't use anything else on a BBQL in the meantime (you couldn't even <CTRL>-C into it because it displays no proper cursor).

That's different when you have the Hotkey System, for example. But with HK S2, you can enter "Psion mode" and forget the simple way anyhow. You tell Quill how much memory to use with a hotkey, and everything else is handled by that system.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

tofro wrote:There's no point in releasing the grabbed memory before you're done with Quill, because you can't use anything else on a BBQL in the meantime (you couldn't even <CTRL>-C into it because it displays no proper cursor).
But it makes sense with a 640K QL and PE, then you are able to switch. But in that times, I have prepared the Quill file with "Grabber" from the QRAM suite. Nowadays, XChange is better anyway.

4E75 7000
Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

I did this many years ago http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/psions/Psion_Mod.zip

Here's the description from Dilwyn's site
Psion Enhancements

Psion_Mod.zip - Psion Enhancements v1.03 Modifies the Psion suite, Versions 2.30 and 2.35/6 to give you the following improvements - You can now use the second screen (with Minerva), You can now multitask correctly without any task switching program, You can pass a parameter to define how much space will be used (Toolkit command like EX required), and The task is given a Job name. Needs Toolkit II. (Martin Head) (23K)

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but with the new (old) Gold Card and I wasn't even sure it was a RAM problem (and I would have enentually tried all the extras on Dilwyn's site, but it was easy to ask). I now have versions that load properly, thanks to all the responses.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I would not use the older Psion software, use Xchange which is basically the same, but has all the 4 Psion applications integrated.

The big advantage is the scripting language in Xchange that allows inter-app communication. Also you would define macros from the command line to control the Xchange applications.

I use Fileinfo2 to have Xchange open a Quill file and pass it to the Quill system.

I was going to fo the same for database files, but did not implement it, due to better database solutions availble.

Regards,

Derek
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

While we're at it: Does anyone have a fix for the Xchange scroll bug? Its sooo annoying that when scrolling upwards through a documents the program occasionally crashes and work is lost.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Ha!

He's asking for the Holy Grail!

Many have spent their lives on the quest, but no one ever found a fix.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

pjw wrote:While we're at it: Does anyone have a fix for the Xchange scroll bug? Its sooo annoying that when scrolling upwards through a documents the program occasionally crashes and work is lost.
I have discovered this for the first time, when I have used Marcels latest XChange (the bigger window) under SMSQmulator. And saw that bug for the first time. I do not know, if it was XChange or SMSQmulator. I never had that with the standard XChange.
Last edited by RalfR on Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

4E75 7000
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

tofro wrote:Ha!

He's asking for the Holy Grail!

Many have spent their lives on the quest, but no one ever found a fix.

Tobias
I wouldnt mind throwing a few more lives at it (not my own, of course!) to accomplish this quest. Anyone? Anyone at all?

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?