vDrive QL, Dilwyn's vDrive Images, and Running Games

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Re: vDrive QL, Dilwyn's vDrive Images, and Running Games

Post by Chr$ »

Yes, you need some kind of WIN1_ storage or a data medium in MDV1_/FLP1_. Any of those places can contain a file called 'boot' that contains those instructions.

Have you got an FLP1_? If not (and assuming lack of WIN1_), you may have to boot from a known good cartridge in MDV1_.

How do you currently initialise the vDrive?

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
SinclairSociety
Trump Card

Post by SinclairSociety »

Chr$ wrote:Yes, you need some kind of WIN1_ storage or a data medium in MDV1_/FLP1_. Any of those places can contain a file called 'boot' that contains those instructions.

Have you got an FLP1_? If not (and assuming lack of WIN1_), you may have to boot from a known good cartridge in MDV1_.

How do you currently initialise the vDrive?
No floppy at the moment... but my SandyQ does have that interface so one day...

I have to type lrun mdv3_boot w/o SD cart in vDrive to get Toolkit running.. if that is what you mean by initialize. Then I have access to those features.

Maybe when I get my Microcarts back from DaveP I can make a boot microcart that does this then.

TJ
Last edited by SinclairSociety on Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sinclair Computers are AWESOME!!
stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

On the virtual microdrive cartridge you'd have to rename the original "boot" file and create a new one containing the above code with the last line changed to lrun the original.

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

Instead of a real floppy drive you could buy a Gotek unit with the "Flashfloppy" firmware installed.

With various interface cables the one unit could be used with most/all of your other machines as well.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

SinclairSociety wrote: I have to type lrun mdv3_boot w/o SD cart in vDrive to get Toolkit running.. if that is what you mean by initialize. Then I have access to those features.
No, I mean to enable the vDrive you have to LBYTES a _bin file that comes with them. Do you also do that on every fresh boot?

Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
SinclairSociety
Trump Card

Post by SinclairSociety »

Chr$ wrote:
SinclairSociety wrote: I have to type lrun mdv3_boot w/o SD cart in vDrive to get Toolkit running.. if that is what you mean by initialize. Then I have access to those features.
No, I mean to enable the vDrive you have to LBYTES a _bin file that comes with them. Do you also do that on every fresh boot?
That I have no idea. Don't recall I have even seen the word LBYTES, other than in the line 270 I changed in the Assault game and I saw it there. hahah.

So no idea... :lol:

Guess if I read more I will find out.

TJ

Sinclair Computers are AWESOME!!
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Well that's odd. There is a little 3 part routine I always have to do (it's part of my boot file) to enable the vDrive. Without that it doesn't work at all. The code for that is also on the vDrive, so I assume it must run itself or something. I'm not sure what the options were for that, without looking through the vDrive manual.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

SinclairSociety wrote:
Chr$ wrote:
That I have no idea. Don't recall I have even seen the word LBYTES, other than in the line 270 I changed in the Assault game and I saw it there. hahah.

So no idea... :lol:

Guess if I read more I will find out.

TJ
When you lrun mdv3_boot w/o SD cart in vDrive you actually perform a LBYTES md3_vtkql_bin, base
Just list the boot file from your mdv3_ and you will see.

As most if not all games run from mdv1_ it is better to install the vMap, if you have bought it with vDrive. It would make things much easier for you.