QL/E tiny free space on QXL.WIN, Urs?

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

QL/E tiny free space on QXL.WIN, Urs?

Post by Chr$ »

I thought I was doing something wrong the other day when I tried to 'inject' some files into my QXL.WIN file and it said there wasn't enough space.

So I got a fresh copy of QLE.WIN from Urs's zip file:

http://www.sinclairql.net/repository.html#QLE

I renamed it QXL.WIN and put it where it should be, so a fresh install with nothing added.

On the QXL side I ESC'd out of the boot process and did a dir win1_. The fresh install version also has very little space - 1556 sectors, as you can see.

An 80mb container and only about 770k free? Is there some kind of bug perhaps with the way it calculates free space? If Urs sees this or anyone else has an idea to free up space, gratefully received.
20200127_192949_resized-1.jpg

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Re: QL/E tiny free space on QXL.WIN, Urs?

Post by pjw »

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Thanks, yes I saw that and was considering giving it a go, but surely the full 80mb isn't really taken up?

Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The probable reason for the small size of QL/E is the download size, also a large QWA file might fit onto the "The Distribution" DVD image.

Black Phoenix has the same problem, with a small distribution QWA file. But the Black Phoenix designer very cleverly added the ability to have a user defined Desktop QWA file defined on WIN2_ This sort gets around the small QWA distro file.

The QL/E QWA file can be copied with subdirectories to a larger QWA file, there are utilities to do this. Or use QLWARZ to extend the QL/E QWA file. But QLWARZ appears to only work with QPC2.

Could QLWARZ run under any other SMSQ/E system, like: SMSQmulator, Q68, QXL, Atari QL emulator, due to they use the same level of operating system.
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Derek
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Could QLWARZ run under any other SMSQ/E system, like: SMSQmulator, Q68, QXL, Atari QL emulator, due to they use the same level of operating system.
I guess, with a little elbow grease, it could be made to work on any system that uses .WIN container files.. The simplest in most cases, perhaps, would just be to use QPC2 for this. Its free and easily available to anyone who can read this message.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Chr$ wrote:An 80mb container and only about 770k free? Is there some kind of bug perhaps with the way it calculates free space?
I dont see why not. Its a disk stuffed with goodies for you to test. Most people dont need five different text editors or a ton of games they never play. Try them out, choose the ones you like best and delete the rest. Traditionally QL users have had two storage devices, mdv1_ and mdv2_. mdv1_ was for programs and mdv2_ for data. Just create a fresh, blank disk for your data if you need more room.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Thanks for your help. I suppose the QLE QXL.WIN container really does just have enough space for the stuff it comes with, which is fair enough.

I used QLWARZ to make it larger (excellent) and also setup a win2_ on my PC drive D:. So I now have almost endless space that I'll probably never fill!