Anyone interested in a brand new Sinclair ZX80 case?

Sell your QL items here!
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Anyone interested in a brand new Sinclair ZX80 case?

Post by 1024MAK »

A member of the Sinclair ZX World forum is trying to get a run of brand new Sinclair ZX80 cases manufactured.

He says this:
jomac wrote: I've been working hard recently in getting together different manufacturers in order to produce an EXACT copy of the Sinclair ZX80 case, either the original, or the later injection moulded version.

This case would be commercially manufactured using the exact same plastics, trimmed and cut out using a CNC, screen printed in exactly the same way with the stickers produced and attached. When i say exact, i mean exact.!

I am hoping the final price will be around £55 posted in the UK, final price depends on the interest.

A lot of effort has gone into this, and was never intended as a commercial venture, but after discussing the idea in the FaceBook groups i was inundated with requests for more information.
jomac wrote:The final price will be £49.95 plus postage and there will be 4 versions of the case. Antenna hole to the left for UK etc, hole to the right for USA etc, hole in the centre for clones and one with no hole.
Note that these ARE NOT being 3D printed. But are being vacuum formed and screen printed.
jomac wrote:Vacuum forming is hellishly expensive when you consider that machining the moulds alone will set you back circa £1,200 and that doesn't include the costs of someone doing the CAD file in the first place. Then someone has to CAD the CNC for the cut outs and holes, someone else has to set up the screens for the screen printing.
If the remaining problems are ironed out, the arrangements will likely be that I will take payment and send the cases out to any QL forum members that want them.

So if you are interested in buying one or more, please reply in this thread. Please let me know how many you wish to buy and which version (four choices).

Note that at this stage, consider this a pre-order list. By posting here, at this stage there is no legal obligation to buy. I will post again when I have more information.

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
Andrew
Aurora

Re: Anyone interested in a brand new Sinclair ZX80 case?

Post by Andrew »

I am interested

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

I'll have one Mark (as I said on the ZX80/1 forum). A standard UK version with the usual socket config. In fact, is there a discount for 10+ or something?

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

What is the difference between the original and injection moulded versions? :)

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

The original cases were vacuum formed. This is where a flat sheet of plastic is heated, then a vacuum pulls the plastic over a mould to form the shape. Any cut-outs that are required then need to be machined out.

Injection moulded cases are described by Rick Dickinson in some detail on this page.

Basically moulds are made, liquid plastic is injected into the moulds. It cools, and then the solid plastic part is released.

There are some pictures showing the different cases here.

The ZX81, ZX Spectrum 16k/48k, ZX Spectrum+ and QL have injection moulded cases.

Mark
Last edited by 1024MAK on Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Ah, I thought they were all vacuum formed on the zx80. Mine is vacuum formed.