C68 newbie issue?

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
kmmann
ROM Dongle

Re: C68 newbie issue?

Post by kmmann »

Hi All

Thanks both of you for the help.

I can now write and compile simple C programs using C68 on my Q68 using the setup Derek provided when I bought the Q68. I used the command line and prog_use, data_use as you nsuggested Derek. All worked effectively.

However, using QPC2 with a fresh install of Black Phoenix 1.5 setup I cannot compile C programs using C68 - it keeps returning the same error (as quoted in previous post), an error which does not appear with the Q68 win setup of C68. This is despite setting Prog_use and Data_use to point to the C68 directory. I cannot quickly setup QPC2 using an alternative as the demo win provided with QPC2 does not contain C68 (i dont think) and 'the distribution' win would need some searching to find C68 - it does not appear obvious where it is!

Looks like I will be using Q68 for a while unless anyone can suggest anything I may not be doing correctly! But the good news is I can now continue to explore C programming on the QL.

Yours

Kevin

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Derek_Stewart wrote:
Do you think it is worth updating Q68Menu?
Not for me, I'm not using it (Most of what I do has at least some assembly code in a project and C68menu doesn't support mixed-language makefiles).
I think everyone should learn to use plain "make" to build software :)

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

kmmann wrote:Hi All

Thanks both of you for the help.

I can now write and compile simple C programs using C68 on my Q68 using the setup Derek provided when I bought the Q68. I used the command line and prog_use, data_use as you nsuggested Derek. All worked effectively.

However, using QPC2 with a fresh install of Black Phoenix 1.5 setup I cannot compile C programs using C68 - it keeps returning the same error (as quoted in previous post), an error which does not appear with the Q68 win setup of C68. This is despite setting Prog_use and Data_use to point to the C68 directory. I cannot quickly setup QPC2 using an alternative as the demo win provided with QPC2 does not contain C68 (i dont think) and 'the distribution' win would need some searching to find C68 - it does not appear obvious where it is!

Looks like I will be using Q68 for a while unless anyone can suggest anything I may not be doing correctly! But the good news is I can now continue to explore C programming on the QL.

Yours

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

QPC2 and Q68 use the same version of SMSQ/E.

I write my own boot files and the boot files on the Q68, had the C68 setup I wrote over 10 years ago.

Your problem is likely to be Black Phoenix, which I can have a look at on QPC2.

Black Phoenix also runs on Q68, but I like to use in 512x384 mode.

The main applications are setup to use QPC2 at 1024x768, on the Q68, is slower in the high colour modes, hence the use of the fastest high colour mode.

But using the Q68 to learn C is not a bad thing, try using C68 in 1024x768 Mode 4, really neat. Like a QVME without the Atari hardware.

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

tofro wrote:
Derek_Stewart wrote:
Do you think it is worth updating Q68Menu?
Not for me, I'm not using it (Most of what I do has at least some assembly code in a project and C68menu doesn't support mixed-language makefiles).
I think everyone should learn to use plain "make" to build software :)

Tobias
Hi Tobias,

I either use C68 in QD with the C68 Thing for single C files or Make if there is multiple C files.

But new users might have problems with these approaches.

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,
I have had a look at Black Phoenix v1.5 with regards to the error in trying to compile a C68 programme.

Black Phoenix stores the C68 compiler files is a subdirectory: win1_prg_c68_

To get the command line or SBASIC recognise the command line: EX cc;'helloworld_c -ohelloworld_exe'

I had to use the DEV device to point to the C68 subdirectory, which entered in SBASIC is: DEV_USE 2,'win1_prg_c68_"
Then amend the compile command line to be: EX dev2_cc;'helloworld_c -ohelloworld_exe'

You could of used:

EX win1_prg_c68_cc;'helloworld_c -ohelloworld_exe'
or
EX dev2_cc;'helloworld_c -ohelloworld_exe'
or
EX dev1_cc;'helloworld_c -ohelloworld_exe'

As DEV1_ is searched first then DEV2_

But it is all the same, the helloworld_c first is in the default directory

Running C68 compiler, gives the error get the preprocessor error - filename 'V' has no extension...

Since I know he C file compiles OK on my C68 setup, there must be a Environment Variable set, doing LIST_ENV will list all the Environment Variables set.

Which the Environment Variable: CC_OPTS = V

This is the route of the error on the compilation, the CC_OPTS has not been set correctly, there should be a - infront of the V. If the C68 manual is consulted, -v and -V are basically the same. The environmental variable CC_OPTS can hold the option sent the to CC pre-processor. So I entered the command: SETENV "CC_OPTS=-v -lm"

Entering the compiler line: EX dev2_cc;'helloworld_c -ohelloworld_exe'

Now compiles and creates a executable file in the default directory

The problem now is that if you reboot QPC2 and Black Phoenix boots up, all the DEV and ENV changes are lost, there needs to be changes in the Black Phoenix configuration setup. Black Phoenix uses an application called Qustomiser to setup desktop enviroment, which is saved in a DBAS data file.

To make the required changed, please select the following from the top task bar:

Menu: System configuration: Black Phoenix configuration: General setting: __Environmental variables: CC-OPTS

Click onto the variable cell and change the entry to: -v -lm

Now, click on __Device DEV

and the entry for DEV2, enter the path to the C68 compiler files: WIN1_PRG_C68_

all changes saved saved as you enter them.

exit Qustomiser and reboot Black Phoenix and the C68 compilation from SBASIC with the coomad line:

EX dev1_cc;'helloworld_c -ohelloworld_exe'

Note: DEV device uses a search method, if the application is not found in DEV1_, then DEV2_ is searched.

Now compiles and generates an executable file.

Regards,

Derek
kmmann
ROM Dongle

Post by kmmann »

Truly excellent Derek

Thank you, I will try all of this out this evening.

Thanks

Kevin

Giorgio Garabello
Gold Card

Post by Giorgio Garabello »

I corrected the setting on BP ..
It will be published in a few months at the next Italian QL national meeting
In the meantime, you can correct it directly using the Qustomizer:
http://www.hunggartorino.it/ql/black-ph ... meeting-2/

Giorgio