QD SBASIC Parser Thing

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

QD SBASIC Parser Thing

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

In the past I used to use SMS2 on an Atari ST, which used the Atari high resolution mode and was software based. THere was no SBASIC interpreter only a CLI with limited commands.

SBASIC programmes had to be compiled using QD, which used the Thing System and a SBASIC parser Thing. This would allow a SBASIC programme to be entered in QD and pressing F10 would load the Qliberator compiler and the programme would compile.

Moving on to SMSQ/E, I have been trying to implement this QD SBASIC compiling process, but the Parser Thing does not seem to work in SMSQ/E v3.34. Maybe this have has been changed in more modern SMSQ/E systems.

I suppose SSB could be used, and maybe the way forward.

What is the best way to compile a SBASIC programme written in QD, without using the SBASIC interpreter, which I mean saving the programme and entering EX qlib_obj;progame$

Regards,

Derek
Artificer
Brittle Membrane

Re: QD SBASIC Parser Thing

Post by Artificer »

Derek wrote:
the Parser Thing does not seem to work in SMSQ/E v3.34. Maybe this have has been changed in more modern SMSQ/E systems.
QD SBASIC parser thing works OK on my Q60 but on smsq/e 3.33. I have just recompiled 2 programs one of 3.7kb and one of 135kb successfully. I have not yet upgraded the Q60 to smsq/e 3.34 so may be the problem is there.

Cheers

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Artificer wrote: QD SBASIC parser thing works OK on my Q60 but on smsq/e 3.33. I have just recompiled 2 programs one of 3.7kb and one of 135kb successfully. I have not yet upgraded the Q60 to smsq/e 3.34 so may be the problem is there.

Cheers
Hi,

I seemed to of got the THING name wrong in the config block for the Basic Parser.

Changing the QD F10 Thing definition to BASIC, I was able to compile the programme in QD 2018.

From a compatibility point of view, the Basic Parser Thing I was using from from the Atari ST SMS2 system written over 20 years, which is running on a modern SMSQ/E and software.

I am afraid I did not update the Basic Parser Thing from Jochen, so there maybe a better version.

I wonder if the Basic Parser can be released as freeware, as programming in QD is very nice to do, with the option of no line numbers.

Regards,

Derek
RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

I once got a disk from TT to generate a disk based version of SMS2 for Atari. All worked as expected, QLib programs worked as expected.

Even interesting, also S_EDIT works as expected, though it generates a bug in SMSQ/E, so there are differences in the kernel.

I just don't know, if THAT version of the parser is identical to the later version for SMSQ/E.

Meanwhile, after all those years, these software should be freeware, as you can't buy it from anywhere nor does Jochen seem to have it.

4E75 7000
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Maybe I don't understand the problem correctly, but the "SBAS/QD" thing is built into SMSQ/E, no additional thing needed. You just have to configure QD to use "SBAS/QD" as the F10 thing.

Marcel

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

mk79 wrote:Maybe I don't understand the problem correctly, but the "SBAS/QD" thing is built into SMSQ/E, no additional thing needed. You just have to configure QD to use "SBAS/QD" as the F10 thing.
Seems, we thought that in SMSQ/E the Parser is separate, as is in SMS2 (as far as I remember).

4E75 7000
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Ralf R. wrote:
mk79 wrote:Maybe I don't understand the problem correctly, but the "SBAS/QD" thing is built into SMSQ/E, no additional thing needed. You just have to configure QD to use "SBAS/QD" as the F10 thing.
Seems, we thought that in SMSQ/E the Parser is separate, as is in SMS2 (as far as I remember).
Hi Marcel,

Thank you for the clarification, I did not read the documentation correctly.

But on saying this, there is minimal documentation on the usage of SBAS/QD within QD.

I can not find anything with the SMSQ/E Reference manual about the builtin feature, the only references are in the SBASIC/SuperBASIC Reference Manual and SMSQ/E Manual by Dilwyn Jones.

As you state configuring QD to use SBAS/QD thing or EX QD;'/t SBAS/QD' does run the the entered SBASIC programme in a SBASIC interpreter.

How do I compile the entered SBASIC programme in QD?

Regards,

Derek
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Hi Derek,

documentation is certainly lacking in this regard, I'm afraid I don't have more than you do.

The SBAS/QD thing is only for executing the code, there is no compiler option.

Cheers, Marcel

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

mk79 wrote:The SBAS/QD thing is only for executing the code, there is no compiler option.
Which was needed in SMS2 as there were only an environment for executing QLib programs but no SB Interpreter. So you hadn't any other chance there.

Nevertheless, it would be interesting to try, if the SMS2 Parser does work in SMSQ/E.

4E75 7000
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Ralf R. wrote:
mk79 wrote:The SBAS/QD thing is only for executing the code, there is no compiler option.
Which was needed in SMS2 as there were only an environment for executing QLib programs but no SB Interpreter. So you hadn't any other chance there.

Nevertheless, it would be interesting to try, if the SMS2 Parser does work in SMSQ/E.
Hi Ralf,

I tried the Basic Parser v2.01 with SMSQ/E v3.33, v3.34 all works perfectly, loads Qliberator and compiles the programme in QD.

I would like to use the built in SBAS/QD, to run SBASIC programmes, but I am not sure how to produce compiled Qliberator programmes.

Regards,

Derek