Today I Received...

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
Martin_Head
Aurora

Re: Today I Received...

Post by Martin_Head »

Dave wrote:The Prism modem I bought came as standard with a gray case, not a black one, and I got a custom black one from the manufacturer. The front and back where hand cut, so they may have made them from what they had laying around. Like I mentioned, the one I had was a very early unit that required firmware upgrades to even work properly.
Could it have been a pre production prototype that looked different to the productions units?

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

This is my thinking, too. It was bought before they were being advertised, and I did receive a board that had some mods and patch wires on it.

I'm thinking it might have been a Prism front cut down and put into a slimmer case more like the Astracom.

It's no big deal - I will pass it on to a US Spectrum owner, or use it with my Omni.

Meanwhile, I'm working on some subtle changes to my WiFi32 firmware to make it a little more BBS friendly. I'll then get a color VT terminal web front end, so people can experience the BBS experience on a real BBS from a web browser.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Nice catch today :)
Sony1.jpg

SinclairSociety
Trump Card

Post by SinclairSociety »

Andrew wrote:Nice catch today :)
Sony1.jpg
So at some point if I can't find in USA an original Sinclair Vision 14 or a CUB, maybe my next option is a Sony. So what special cabling is needed to make a stock QL work on these Sony type TVs?

TJ

Sinclair Computers are AWESOME!!
Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

This is not a Sony TV - it is a Sony Video Monitor PVM-1554QM .
It has separate inputs for Red, Green, Blue and Sync with BNC connectors - so I use a QL RGB to SCART cable bought from RetroComputer Shack and a SCART to BNC adaptor.
The image is rock steady ! Much better than any QL monitor.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Almost as good as the Iiyama VisionMaster 19 or 21 from the early 90s.

But not quite.

SinclairSociety
Trump Card

Andrew wrote:This is not a Sony TV - it is a Sony Video Monitor PVM-1554QM .
It has separate inputs for Red, Green, Blue and Sync with BNC connectors - so I use a QL RGB to SCART cable bought from RetroComputer Shack and a SCART to BNC adaptor.
The image is rock steady ! Much better than any QL monitor.
As I am in the USA, Scart is not the norm here. I have a Scart to HDMI adapter but have not seen a Scart to bnc adapter before. Is that a box like my Scart to HDMI device I purchased from Amazon? TJ

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

SinclairSociety wrote:As I am in the USA, Scart is not the norm here. I have a Scart to HDMI adapter but have not seen a Scart to bnc adapter before. Is that a box like my Scart to HDMI device I purchased from Amazon? TJ
I just bought a SCART female conector and 4 BNC connectors and I wired each BNC to the corresponding SCART pin (RGBS) and ground.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Dave wrote:Almost as good as the Iiyama VisionMaster 19 or 21 from the early 90s.

But not quite.
Iiyama VisionMaster is a great monitor, but too large - I wanted a 12" or 14" monitor and the Sony was the best choice available

SinclairSociety
Trump Card

I still have hope I can get a real deal one day.... ;-) one of the ones that was marketed with the QL. WIll feel more complete that way.

TJ