SMSQ/E builds with QPC but not with SMSQmulator?

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
olifink
Chuggy Microdrive

SMSQ/E builds with QPC but not with SMSQmulator?

Post by olifink »

Hello Friends...

I have a curious situation, maybe somebody else ran into this: I try to recompile SMSQE (3.34, latest .win from Wolfgang's site) and it compiles happily on QPC2 (of course it would) but then trying the same under SMSQmulator (Java8 version, again latest from Wolfgangs site, Linux or Windows doesn't matter) and it chokes with a lot of errors in asm/qmac.

Interestingly it's not random, it seems to be fail invariably at

Code: Select all

assert macro
Mind you it's the same .win device on win8/dev8 with no other code coming via win1. One would think both SMSQE and SMSQmulator coming from wlenerz it should work. Now it could be that the SMSQ.bin used to boot both are somehow different or differently config'd but it got me stomped now.

ideas anyone?

O

bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Re: SMSQ/E builds with QPC but not with SMSQmulator?

Post by bixio60 »

Strange, I am compiling SMSQ/E regularly using SMSQmulator and all is fine.
I always download from Wolfgang site latest SMSQExxx.win, lrun winx_boot and thats all, it works.

Fabrizio
olifink wrote:Hello Friends...

I have a curious situation, maybe somebody else ran into this: I try to recompile SMSQE (3.34, latest .win from Wolfgang's site) and it compiles happily on QPC2 (of course it would) but then trying the same under SMSQmulator (Java8 version, again latest from Wolfgangs site, Linux or Windows doesn't matter) and it chokes with a lot of errors in asm/qmac.

Interestingly it's not random, it seems to be fail invariably at

Code: Select all

assert macro
Mind you it's the same .win device on win8/dev8 with no other code coming via win1. One would think both SMSQE and SMSQmulator coming from wlenerz it should work. Now it could be that the SMSQ.bin used to boot both are somehow different or differently config'd but it got me stomped now.

ideas anyone?

O

olifink
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by olifink »

bixio60 wrote:Strange, I am compiling SMSQ/E regularly using SMSQmulator and all is fine.
I always download from Wolfgang site latest SMSQExxx.win, lrun winx_boot and thats all, it works.

Fabrizio
thanks - thats good to know - interesting... but strange...

which versions do you use? I' m on SMSQmulator8227 and SMSQE334.win

bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Post by bixio60 »

Same SMSQmulator 2.27 for Java 8 and SMSQE334.win
Did you try with a minimum config? I mean avoid to load your boot and just lrun win2_boot (i have smsqe334.win as win2_) moreover I always select the DEL button before to start the "Make"
It could also be that the smsqe334.win is damaged? (Also that you inserted some errors during editing...it happen to me always)
I sometime have found that the behaviour (reactions) between QPC and SMSQmulator could be different for unknown reason depending always from extensions that i have loaded with my boot.
I dont have so far other ideas.... :)
Fabrizio
olifink wrote:
bixio60 wrote:Strange, I am compiling SMSQ/E regularly using SMSQmulator and all is fine.

Fabrizio
thanks - thats good to know - interesting... but strange...

which versions do you use? I' m on SMSQmulator8227 and SMSQE334.win

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Ive only assembled SMSQ/E on QPC2. There are numerous minor differences in the emulation between the QPC and SMSQmulator, but I doubt any would play out in this instance. Look to something local, like loading different toolkits at boot, or environmental differences.
FYI I doubt Wolfgang reads this list, so if youre stuck try QL user.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
olifink
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by olifink »

Ok, I' ve got it - after testing various permutations and disabling all boot files and removing all win devices, disabling all unneeded device drivers I gave it a last shot:

It's the Colour Mode setting: I invariably run with the normal QL 4 colours on all my devices. Switching to Aurora or 16 bit mode makes the build go through fine, using QL mode 4 throws the assert macro errors I saw. Weirdest thing...

I don' t have a hunch yet where such a thing could fail, but I'll ping Wolfang directly now.

thanks for your help!

O

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I tried compiling SMSQ/E v3.34 on QPC2, SMSQmulator, Q68, Q60.

I used a clean boot with the supplied SMSQ/E source code QWA file.

All systems produced valid SMQ/E build for all or individual targets.

On the Q68, I used 512 x 256 and 1024 x 768 Mode 4 screen Modes, all SMSQ/E builds compiled as expected.

Regards,

Derek
olifink
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by olifink »

just a quick update: Wolfgang could reproduce it and is narrowing down the problem. It's partly based on the .ini (only changes are mode 4, full screen 2, double pixel setup) and so far looks like a memory issue with the ERT HOT_RES of QMAC. Commenting that out makes it work but it's still unclear (to me at least) what the root cause is... keep you posted.

O

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

On closer inspection, I get wobblies too now. In SMSQmulator, mode 32, normal window mode. I have Qmake (not Qmac) HOT_RESed and it doesnt work. The program starts, but then just hangs. Most other programs I have HOT_RESed seem to work ok, but some appear not to. The whole setup is identical to my normal working environment, which I normally run under QPC2, where it works without a hitch.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
olifink
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by olifink »

another quick update:

Wolfgang has tracked down the problem to SMSQEmake, so nothing is wrong with the Thing system itself but it seems the way it was called with EXEP and worked mostly only by accident in the different screen modes. With a new version it now works like it should. I guess this one will be included in his next release...