New Minerva ROMs for Q68

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
RalfR
Aurora

Re: New Minerva ROMs for Q68

Post by RalfR »

Dave wrote:Somebody just write a new filing system already!
That's quite right!

4E75 7000
janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

Ralf R. wrote: Not sure, if I understand all correctly. You want Minerva to start with another view as the standard MODE 8? Martin Berndt has modified a quite early Minerva (bought in Eindhoven from QView), so it starts with mode 4 in black/black, as we always used Mode 4. This was quite easy for him to modify.
Minerva already starts in MODE 4, unlike legacy QDOS.
The discussion was about 1024x768 resolution in MODE 4 without modifying the Minerva screen driver. It's probably possible (it can be done under uqlx with Minerva) but with extra front-end code in the extension ROM area.

Jan.

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

janbredenbeek wrote: Minerva already starts in MODE 4, unlike legacy QDOS.
The Minervae I know always (auto)start with F2, so in MODE 8. But maybe that has changed during the years. The version from QView in Eindhoven was that way and a few Versions later also. And QDOS? Seems to start with what you have selected...F1 or F2...?

Cheers...Ralf

4E75 7000
janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

Ralf R. wrote: The Minervae I know always (auto)start with F2, so in MODE 8. But maybe that has changed during the years. The version from QView in Eindhoven was that way and a few Versions later also. And QDOS? Seems to start with what you have selected...F1 or F2...?
Ah yes when you timeout from the F1..F4 screen you'll get MODE 8. But the initial logo screen is in MODE 4.
JM/JS starts up in MODE 4 (tweed pattern), then switches to MODE 8 for the F1/F2 screen, then to whatever you've chosen.

Jan.

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

janbredenbeek wrote: Ah yes when you timeout from the F1..F4 screen you'll get MODE 8. But the initial logo screen is in MODE 4.
JM/JS starts up in MODE 4 (tweed pattern), then switches to MODE 8 for the F1/F2 screen, then to whatever you've chosen.
Ah ok, the Autostart was that, what Martin has changed, so we could run in MODE 4 initially without any need for a BOOT file.

I now understand, what you mean ;). Have never thought about that...

Ralf

4E75 7000
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

janbredenbeek wrote: The discussion was about 1024x768 resolution in MODE 4 without modifying the Minerva screen driver. It's probably possible (it can be done under uqlx with Minerva) but with extra front-end code in the extension ROM area.

Jan.
Hi Jan,

I mainly use the Q68 in DISP_MODE 4 (1024x768 Mode 4) on SMSQ/E.

So if you can implement this in Minerva, I would be really happy.

Does Multi-Basic, Second Screen work.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Does Multi-Basic, Second Screen work.
Yes, just press F3 at startup.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I tried the Q68 Minerva this morning, llooks really nice.

Just have arrange to soft load toolkit 2.

Regards,

Derek
martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hello Jan!

I've been playing with your Minerva4Q68 recently as we continue to develop the QL-Net driver for the Q68 (ND-Q68, already working under SMSQ) and wondered if you felt up to the task of re-assembling your patched Minerva to incorporate the 'I/O Fix' that Marcel added to Min v1.98.

Effectively, its just the removal of the comment '*' character from in front of line 91 in io/serio_asm

I'd have a go myself (I've previously reassembled Minerva in QPC), but I don't have your uQLX tool-chain/environment setup - which is 99% of the work in this case :-)

Alternatively, is it as simple as taking your src tree as-is from git-hub and assembling just as I did with the original Min v1.98 source in QPC/SMSQ previously?

Warm regards,
Martyn.

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

martyn_hill wrote:Hello Jan!

I've been playing with your Minerva4Q68 recently as we continue to develop the QL-Net driver for the Q68 (ND-Q68, already working under SMSQ) and wondered if you felt up to the task of re-assembling your patched Minerva to incorporate the 'I/O Fix' that Marcel added to Min v1.98.

Effectively, its just the removal of the comment '*' character from in front of line 91 in io/serio_asm
In fact, I've already done that ;) . I just need to rebuild it. I'll see if I have the time to do it tomorrow (this Wednesday) as it's not too much work.
I'd have a go myself (I've previously reassembled Minerva in QPC), but I don't have your uQLX tool-chain/environment setup - which is 99% of the work in this case :-)
Alternatively, is it as simple as taking your src tree as-is from git-hub and assembling just as I did with the original Min v1.98 source in QPC/SMSQ previously?
You can assemble Minerva yourself (taking note of the two patches for 16MB RAMTOP and Q68 RTC which are already in the current source tree) and overwrite the first 48K of your ROM image with the new Minerva image - the rest of the ROM image contains the keyboard driver and Wolfgang's SD driver. But I'll see what I can do.

Jan.