Psion Chess

A place to discuss general QL issues.
ql_freak
Gold Card

Psion Chess

Post by ql_freak »

Have now downloaded Psion Chess for DOS (it's easy to find with Google). HORROR! Does not run in Windows 10 on XP it only runs fullscreen and without colours AND with an horrible upscaled resolution ("pixelig"). As far as I can remember on the QL it looked really great in 3D mode - on DOS on Windows XP it looks horrible.

Does anyone know, where I can download the Psion Chess version which is executable, i.e. is an executable QDOS program, which can be run with EX in multitasking as a normal job?

I have had this on my real QL (which is packaged deeply :-(). I know it is difficult to obtain, but I have had it! It could be run even under the pointer environment as a normal job, fully multitasking.

http://peter-sulzer.bplaced.net
GERMAN! QL-Download page also available in English: GETLINE$() function, UNIX-like "ls" command, improved DIY-Toolkit function EDLINE$ - All with source. AND a good Python 3 Tutorial (German) for Win/UNIX :-)
Artificer
Brittle Membrane

Re: Psion Chess

Post by Artificer »

I think you can find a copy to download at http://sinclairql.speccy.org under the utilities tab. PSION Chess for the QL may still be copyright but if you already own a copy.

Cheers

Artificer

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

ql_freak wrote:It could be run even under the pointer environment as a normal job, fully multitasking.
Please let us know if you can actually reproduce that. As far as I remember, Psion Chess completely takes over the machine, replacing the OS.

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

Peter wrote: Please let us know if you can actually reproduce that. As far as I remember, Psion Chess completely takes over the machine, replacing the OS.
Jochen Hassler (Jo) has modified Chess, so it runs as an executable (as far as I remember). I am unsure, if 3D is still there available.

The game, which installs an new OS is QL.Pawn.

4E75 7000
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Sorry I was a bit unclear - I didn't mean to say that Psion Chess brings it's own OS.

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Theres a version that comes with QLE that works fine in QPC2. Its not PE, but it doesnt misbehave nor does it take over the system. Both 2D and 3D seem to work ok. And it still beats me most of the time ;)

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
ql_freak
Gold Card

Post by ql_freak »

pjw wrote:Theres a version that comes with QLE that works fine in QPC2. Its not PE, but it doesnt misbehave nor does it take over the system. Both 2D and 3D seem to work ok. And it still beats me most of the time ;)
Thank you! I have found it on QL/E and it runs perfectly, unfortunately here only with QL resolution and colours (512x256, QL-colours on QPC2). But that's better than nothing. And it looks much better than the native DOS version : -)

I will prepare a special Chess-WIN which starts just Psion chess, and when you quit, it will quit QPC2.

GERMAN! QL-Download page also available in English: GETLINE$() function, UNIX-like "ls" command, improved DIY-Toolkit function EDLINE$ - All with source. AND a good Python 3 Tutorial (German) for Win/UNIX :-)
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

It seems to work in high colour mode on my HD monitor too. Just remember to QPC_QLSCREMU 4 first.
There are a number of different hacked versions of Psion Chess out there, that work on various platforms. The version we're talking about is the first one that has worked so smoothly (for me - and I hope for you) on QPC2. Thanks, Jo, whoever you are!

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

pjw wrote:Thanks, Jo, whoever you are!
As Ralf said, it was done by Jochen Hassler. He did a few such things, I also have a version of the Talent Assembler Workbench that works perfectly with the PE and that I use to this day for investigating memory or assemble a few lines of code.

Marcel

ql_freak
Gold Card

Post by ql_freak »

pjw wrote:It seems to work in high colour mode on my HD monitor too. Just remember to QPC_QLSCREMU 4 first.
Also from me: Thank You Jochen Hassler for the nice EXE of Psion Chess!

Thank you "pjw" for the tip with "QPC_QLSCREMU 4", works great, see screenshots.
PsionChessOnQPC2_3D_FullyMultitasking.jpg
PsionChessOnQPC2_2D_FullyMultitasking.jpg