The sad end of QPC2 :-(

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

The sad end of QPC2 :-(

Post by NormanDunbar »

Today is a bad day for me. After many years of using QPC2 on Linux, a recent wipe & reinstall of the latest Mint Linux, version 19.1, has updated Wine to version 3.0.4 from an old version that I can no longer obtain. This new version works perfectly well on my old, old, very decrepit 32bit Dell laptop, and runs QPC2 without a quibble. Sadly, running 32 bit wine on a 64 bit machine doesn't let me run QPC2 any more. The whole laptop locks up almost completely, and I have to nip over to CTRL+ALT+F1 (virtual console 1), login as root and kill the wine sessions.

By the way, this is definitely not a complaint aimed at QPC2, in case anyone is wondering, the problem is wine.

I had to wipe and reinstall the laptop due to occasional hangups, where I couldn't even get to the virtual consoles, but the system has been updated since Linux Mint version 8 over many years, so I suppose that it had to be done sometime. It wasn't as bad an exercise as I suspected either. Everything runs a lot faster now.

It looks like I'm running SMSQmulator, under Java (hack, spit) from here on. At least it reads all my qxl.win drives that I've been using in QPC2 over the years, so that's good news indeed.

I know Derek runs Linux Mint. I wonder if he's running QPC2 under wine too?

@DEREK: Do you run QPC2 under mint? What versions of Mint and wine are you running please? I'm on Mint 19.1 64bit Cinnamon, with Wine 3.0.4 installed (was installed) for 32 bit emulation. The one I had previously was Mint 18.3 and wine 1.6.2. (Old!)

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Re: The sad end of QPC2 :-(

Post by mk79 »

Wine 3.04 works fine under 64-bit MacOS at least. 4.0 is already in RC stage, maybe try that. But if Linux locks up like this it could be the screen driver, too.

Marcel

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Hi Marcel,

Interesting, thanks.

I'm using the Nvidea drivers on Mint 19.1 64bit, exactly as I was previously with Mint 18.3, but I'll try the Noveau drivers soon, when I get Christmas over and done with.

Cheers,
Norm.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

NormanDunbar wrote: I know Derek runs Linux Mint. I wonder if he's running QPC2 under wine too?

@DEREK: Do you run QPC2 under mint? What versions of Mint and wine are you running please? I'm on Mint 19.1 64bit Cinnamon, with Wine 3.0.4 installed (was installed) for 32 bit emulation. The one I had previously was Mint 18.3 and wine 1.6.2. (Old!)
Hi Norm,

I am using Mint 18.3 x64, WIne 1.6.2, nvidia 304 and Intel Microcode drivers installed. All seems to work OK,

I tried Wine v3.0.4 but gave some problems with the Noveau drivers causing QPC2 to start with a blank screen, this is clearly a display driver problem. Which I could not be bothered to fix.

I reverted back to Wine 1.6.2 because it works with QPC2, but I do not use QPC2 much, as the QPC2 display is too small and there is no UQLX zoom option or SMSQmulator double resolution oiption.

So mainly use SMSQmulator or QEMulator or UQLX.

Regards,

Derek
janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

Just tried it on Lubuntu 18.04 with Wine 3 installed and got the same blank screen (it shows the QPC2 window, but no contents). Also an error message from the command line:

Code: Select all

0009:err:d3d:context_set_gl_context Failed to set pixel format 5 on device context 0x130056.
Don't know if it's useful, it's probably a Wine thing. This was using the Nouveau drivers.
On my other pc I have Mint 18.2 with the older version of Wine and this works fine.

Jan.

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

Derek_Stewart wrote: I reverted back to Wine 1.6.2 because it works with QPC2, but I do not use QPC2 much, as the QPC2 display is too small and there is no UQLX zoom option or SMSQmulator double resolution oiption.
It works fine when I specify a double resolution in the configuration dialog under 'Window mode'. E.g. 640x480 resolution with 1280x960 window (also the setting I use under Windows).

Jan.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Jan,

My apologies for not reading the manual correctly, I have re-read the QPC2v3 manual.

Everything is clear now.
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

NormanDunbar wrote:

Cheers,
Norm.
Hi Norm,

I updated my Linux Mint 18.3 to Mint 19.1, which installed Win3 3.0

QPC2 did not work correctly till I enabled the nvidia screen driver.

Now QPC2 works perfectly in Mint 19.1

Regards,

Derek
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Thanks everyone. I've been busy over Christmas so limited play time. However it will all be over soon! I have a few suggestions to try, but so far both the Nvidea driver or Nouveau both hang up.

Stupid question, QPC2 is definitely 32 bit, yes? Actually, it is, it runs ok on an old slow Dell 32bit laptop under Mint 19.0, so it must be 32bit. Forget I asked!

Happy New Year everyone. When it comes.

Cheers,
Norm.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Ok, progress! Sort of.
Everything else I have installed under Wine works fine, it's only QPC that is failing.

Now I know it's not QPC that's broken as it works fine on my 32 bit laptop under 32 bit Linux and 32 bit Wine. It just hangs (everything) when I try running it on 64 bit Linux with 32bit Wine. I've tried lots of versions of Wine to no effect. I don't get any errors either, just a hung session.

Still trying! ;)

Cheers,
Norm.