QL Tinkering

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
User avatar
tofro
QL Wafer Drive
Posts: 1668
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:53 pm
Location: SW Germany

Re: QL Tinkering

Postby tofro » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:46 pm

Interesting idea, Per!

Very unfortunately, however, this will not compile using Turbo - This doesn't allow expressions in DATA statements.
A shame there isn't anything like a LABEL statement in S*BASIC.

Tobias


ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
User avatar
M68008
Bent Pin Expansion Port
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:55 am
Contact:

Re: QL Tinkering

Postby M68008 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:25 pm

Andrew wrote:OK - here are my results.
I used the QL + Tetroid's GoldCard and QEmulator set to QL speed and then to GoldCard speed


Gold Card speed in Q-emuLator is approximate and was based on a couple of known benchmark results.

I should still have a benchmark I wrote years ago to collect cycle-accurate instruction timings. If you'd like to run it on the Gold Card QL, the data might help me improve the accuracy of the GoldCard speed option.


User avatar
Andrew
Gold Card
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:10 pm

Re: QL Tinkering

Postby Andrew » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:41 pm

M68008 wrote:Gold Card speed in Q-emuLator is approximate and was based on a couple of known benchmark results.

I should still have a benchmark I wrote years ago to collect cycle-accurate instruction timings. If you'd like to run it on the Gold Card QL, the data might help me improve the accuracy of the GoldCard speed option.

Send me the benchmark and I will run it.
If someone has an original GoldCard it would be interesting to compare the results.


User avatar
pjw
Super Gold Card
Posts: 536
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:44 am
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: QL Tinkering

Postby pjw » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:04 pm

tofro wrote:Interesting idea, Per!

Yes. It just came to me in a flash as I was having a lie-down this afternoon. :)

Very unfortunately, however, this will not compile using Turbo - This doesn't allow expressions in DATA statements.

Theres always a trade-off ->sigh<-
A shame there isn't anything like a LABEL statement in S*BASIC.

Tobias

One can (partially) fake it: Write a simple "pre-compiler" to translate any labels into line numbers. (In fact, Timothy Swenson has already done that (and much more) with his Structured SuperBASIC (ssb). Check it out!) Wont work with Turbo's line number-less option, I suppose, but it is only an option, so it could be made to work if one so wished.


Per
Be wary of large West-Coast corporations bearing gifts!
- Ancient Trojan proverb
RWAP
RWAP Master
Posts: 2646
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:51 pm
Location: Stone, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: QL Tinkering

Postby RWAP » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:00 pm

M68008 wrote:
Andrew wrote:OK - here are my results.
I used the QL + Tetroid's GoldCard and QEmulator set to QL speed and then to GoldCard speed


Gold Card speed in Q-emuLator is approximate and was based on a couple of known benchmark results.

I should still have a benchmark I wrote years ago to collect cycle-accurate instruction timings. If you'd like to run it on the Gold Card QL, the data might help me improve the accuracy of the GoldCard speed option.


I can't recall now - I seem to think I ran the benchmarking code, but it might have been on a Super Gold Card.....


qbits
ROM Dongle
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:32 pm

Re: QL Tinkering

Postby qbits » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:51 am

Hi to All,

Ho! Ho! Seasonal Greetings Merry Christmas and Hopefully a Happy New Year to you all.

Well I’ve managed to do some more tinkering this time exploring the QL Sounds BEEP command.
See the attached downloads.

While you’re sipping you coffee over the hols this might be of interest to some so give it a perusal.
If not a look back over the other Progs available for download under this topic!

Enjoy your seasonal Break.

QBITS :geek:
Attachments
QBITS Exploring QL Sounds.pdf
(1.75 MiB) Downloaded 63 times
QBSoundsv3QPC2.zip
(18.28 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
QLSoundsveQPC2.jpg
Last edited by qbits on Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:18 am, edited 3 times in total.


User avatar
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli
Posts: 2153
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:13 pm
Location: North East UK

Re: QL Tinkering

Postby vanpeebles » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:48 pm

Awesome! :D


User avatar
tofro
QL Wafer Drive
Posts: 1668
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:53 pm
Location: SW Germany

Re: QL Tinkering

Postby tofro » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:08 pm

vanpeebles wrote:Awesome! :D


Indeed it is. I really appreciate how polished and clear your user interfaces look. Very, very professional.

Tobias


ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
User avatar
Cristian
Super Gold Card
Posts: 654
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:40 pm
Location: Veneto

Re: QL Tinkering

Postby Cristian » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:44 pm

Qbits, you're our Santa! :D


User avatar
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli
Posts: 2153
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:13 pm
Location: North East UK

Re: QL Tinkering

Postby vanpeebles » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:05 am

tofro wrote:
vanpeebles wrote:Awesome! :D


Indeed it is. I really appreciate how polished and clear your user interfaces look. Very, very professional.

Tobias


I agree, if you bought those back in the day, you would be very pleased. They have a distinct QL look as well :) Amazing quality.



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest