EXEP on QPC

Helpful tips and guides, also new users can ask for help here.
RalfR
Aurora

Re: EXEP on QPC

Post by RalfR »

It would be better, if EXEP works as expected!

@Oliver:

Does it work, if startet via Files Menu?

4E75 7000
olifink
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by olifink »

all, thanks for digging deeper - and the suggestions. Although for me this was rather an academic exercise about QDOS and SMSQ than only getting Quill running (I am aware of Xchange and I could use Perfection but there are other reasons for me to use Quill - even from mdv, so it must be sentimental).

Seriously though: as I am not yet too familiar with QPC and saw differences I was wondering if these changes were intentional or if I just missed some goals for the new OS, as in the time SMSQ picked up the support of so many advanced hardware options. WL's explanation goes a long way and and points to the source (literally) so I'll spend some time to look at the files in question.

I've been seeing different behavior in various places: for example (to answer @RalfR's question) QPac2 Files doesn't even show the 2nd dialog on Execute (with Guard, Freeze etc) anymore - maybe it was removed intentionally because of the same problem?

So I was trying to find out how conscious the decision was to not support "legacy" options.

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

olifink wrote:..QPac2 Files doesn't even show the 2nd dialog on Execute (with Guard, Freeze etc) anymore - maybe it was removed intentionally because of the same problem?
That is a configurable option. Use (Menu)config to change it.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
olifink
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by olifink »

pjw wrote:
olifink wrote:..QPac2 Files doesn't even show the 2nd dialog on Execute (with Guard, Freeze etc) anymore - maybe it was removed intentionally because of the same problem?
That is a configurable option. Use (Menu)config to change it.
good point, another thing I keep forgetting that we can config the actual binaries :)
Ralf R. wrote:Does it work, if startet via Files Menu?
no, this seems to be even less forgiving and doesn't start the job at all (although it seems to reserve the ram for a sec).

The other - and probably more sustainable - option I tried is Qram's Grabber utility. Although the patched result also fails for presumably the same reasons as SMSQ, tinkering with a 2k utility is (at least for now) preferable to me than rebuilding the Hotkey System or even the OS.

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

There are some weird things going on with memory in SMSQ/E. The usual workaround for the PSION problem was something like:

Code: Select all

tmp = ALCHP(FREE_MEM - 40 * 1024): EX 'win2_psion_QUILL': PAUSE#0; 10: RECHP tmp
It still works (variations on memsize and pause), but if I do a QPAC2 Jobs on it, it gives me that dreaded ...memory corrupted... message across the board. Yet, when Quill is removed again, all is sweetness and light! No mention of corrupted memory. Whether or not memory was corrupted, during or after such a Quill session, I havent bothered to investigate..

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?