Some new W10 devilry

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Some new W10 devilry

Post by pjw »

I thoroughly dislike the idea of Windows-as-a-service! Every other update seems to introduce some new devilry. Now the problem is that suddenly QPC2 just goes down - without so much as a squeak. This started about two or three weeks ago. Nothing special going on in my world: No new, fancy toolkits loaded or programs running..
My usual setup is QPC in fullscreen mode, and so far, this has only happened when QPC has been buttonised, not while active - until today. This is not a case of the "vanishing button" syndrome, reported a few weeks ago. QPC has really died.
The good news is that the "screen freeze" issue has disappeared again. Perhaps the issues are linked?
Im not suggesting anyone try to fix this. These things often just come and go. I just thought I should report it and hear if anyone else experiencing the same-?

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: Some new W10 devilry

Post by dilwyn »

pjw wrote:I thoroughly dislike the idea of Windows-as-a-service! Every other update seems to introduce some new devilry. Now the problem is that suddenly QPC2 just goes down - without so much as a squeak. This started about two or three weeks ago. Nothing special going on in my world: No new, fancy toolkits loaded or programs running..
My usual setup is QPC in fullscreen mode, and so far, this has only happened when QPC has been buttonised, not while active - until today. This is not a case of the "vanishing button" syndrome, reported a few weeks ago. QPC has really died.
The good news is that the "screen freeze" issue has disappeared again. Perhaps the issues are linked?
Im not suggesting anyone try to fix this. These things often just come and go. I just thought I should report it and hear if anyone else experiencing the same-?
I get similar problems with QPC2 4.05 with SMSQ/E 3.28 on my Windows 10 Home laptop. The problem doesn't show on my Windows 7 system.

In my case, if the laptop goes into sleep mode (like hibernation, but hibernation is in thory at least disabled on it) all programs remain when the laptop is woken up, except for QPC2 which has quietly vanished irrespective of whether it was on main screen or screen 2. Like Per says, not related to the vanishing button/notfication issue I once reported either. I've learned to save everything now if I'm not going to be using QPC2 for a while.

I can put the laptop to sleep (e.g. by folding down the screen, or use SLEEP mode) and reawaken it shortly after - no problem. I fleft for a few hours, and the test seems to be that if the laptop has to be worken up with the power button (rather than mouse movement or simply opening the screen back up again), that's when QPC2 (and only QPC2) has vanished.

Martin_Head
Aurora

Post by Martin_Head »

I had this problem viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1916&p=16875&hilit ... ver#p16875

Can't remember if this was QPC2 version 3 or version 4. But I just don't use the screen saver any more.

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Martin_Head wrote:I had this problem viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1916&p=16875&hilit ... ver#p16875

Can't remember if this was QPC2 version 3 or version 4. But I just don't use the screen saver any more.
I dont think this is the same problem. I dont use a screen saver on the PC other than blank, and apart from two or three periods over the past two years of a month of occasional screen freezes (easily fixable with SHIFT + CTRL + F12 in QPC2) the Sudden Silent Death syndrome is quite new to me.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?