Black Phoenix 1.5

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
martyn_hill
Aurora

Re: Black Phoenix 1.5

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi again Norm

I was incorrect in my earlier post - QPC.ini doesn't allow to switch SMSQE.bin - only to over-ride the Config block contained within it.

If you carefully open the smsqe.bin file with a binary/hex editor in your QPC installation folder, around byte offset $60 is the SMSQ version number.

I bet you've got an older copy in there, that for some reason wasn't replaced during QPC upgrades.

You could try re-running the setup in to a different folder and testing that (it won't harm your existing copy). If that shows the right version of SMSQE, then you could copy over the newer .bin file in to your original QPC install folder - which will still use your preferred configuration and continue to run the older installation.

I wonder if your smsqe.bin file is locked by Windows (perhaps AV), preventing setup from overwriting it - you'll soon find out if you try replacing it manually...

[EDIT - of course, you are running this under Wine/Linux so, whilst the same advice applies, the cause of the 'sticky' smsqe.bin file can't be pinned on Windows...]

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I tried BP1.5 on QPC2 v4.05 SMSQ/E 3.33 on Mint 18.3 x64 Wine v1.6 all works perfectly.

I would guess an update of QPC2 SMSQ/E file and check the Wine setup.

Regards,

Derek
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Thanks Everyone.

I have done a complete reinstall and download (not necessarily in that order) of the latest QPC 4.0.5 and it has installed correctly with a different version of the qpcbinary file. This is a different version in that it is a different size to the file in QPC 4.0.0 and to the one in QPC 3.3.3.

I'll check later if I'm picking up an old version, if I can, somehow, but I have to toddle off to hospital now to have my chest looked at. (Xray). Back soon (I hope!)

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Norman

Good luck with the X-Ray!

Just to be clear, it's the version of the SMSQE binary that will determine whether or not ALPHA_BLEND is available, rather than QPC itself.

There appears to be a loose dependency between the two and Marcel always packages the QPC binary with the most up to date SMSQE binary with each QPC release available at the time, but you are usually free to replace the SMQE binary with later versions (e.g. 3.33 versus 3.28 that came with QPC 4.0.5.10).

The SMSQE binaries for various 'platforms' are available from Wolgang's official SMSQE site - for example, I just downloaded and extracted the SMSQE.bin file from WL's site and copied it in to my working QPC directory - which then starts up and runs SMSQE v3.33 instead of v3.28, as per PRINT VER$(1).

Marcel might be best to comment on how 'safe' this approach is.

robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

Has anyone had this running on MAC OS?

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Ok, problem solved. It was a PICNIC. (Problem In Chair, Not In Computer).
When I installed the latest version of QPC, it picked up the default folder for the previous version 4.0.0 and was thus using an older version of SMSQ. Once I fixed the default, it "just works". Apologies for the noise!

It was caused by me, copying the QPC 4.0 *.desktop file for 4.0.5 and neglecting to change the default folder. Sigh. (At least I got the correct executable to run!)

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

martyn_hill wrote:The SMSQE binaries for various 'platforms' are available from Wolgang's official SMSQE site - for example, I just downloaded and extracted the SMSQE.bin file from WL's site and copied it in to my working QPC directory - which then starts up and runs SMSQE v3.33 instead of v3.28, as per PRINT VER$(1).

Marcel might be best to comment on how 'safe' this approach is.
Safe or not, Ive use this method all the time without any problems. Same goes for SMSQmulator.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Glad its all sorted now, Norman.

[Per - thanks for confirming the SMSQE update process!]

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The Black Phoenix animation does not work very well on SMSQmulator. But once loaded works great.
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Derek
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Black Phoenix on the Q68 HI-COLOUR modes:
DISP_MODE 7 : 1024x768 Mode 33
DISP_MODE 5 : 1024x768 256 Colour
DISP_MODE 3 : 1024x512 Mode 33

I would not advise using these screen modes due they slow the Q68 down.

Thd best screen mode is:

DISP_MODE 6 : 512x384 Mode 33

This screen mode gives 65535 colours and does not slow the Q68 down.

Regards,

Derek