Ubuntu 14.04.4 and uqlx2017

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
User avatar
XorA
Super Gold Card
Posts: 547
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:31 am
Location: Shotts, North Lanarkshire, Scotland, UK

Re: Ubuntu 14.04.4 and uqlx2017

Postby XorA » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:15 am

Martin_Head wrote:On another point, When UQLX starts. I don't get the QDOS/Minerva start screen, it just goes straight into monitor mode as if F1 had been pressed. Is this an option that I can turn off, or have the supplied ROM images been patched to auto F1 on start up?


Its controlled by FAST_STARTUP = 1 in the .uqlxrc file.


Martin_Head
Gold Card
Posts: 336
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:17 pm

Re: Ubuntu 14.04.4 and uqlx2017

Postby Martin_Head » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:38 am

XorA wrote:
Martin_Head wrote:On another point, When UQLX starts. I don't get the QDOS/Minerva start screen, it just goes straight into monitor mode as if F1 had been pressed. Is this an option that I can turn off, or have the supplied ROM images been patched to auto F1 on start up?


Its controlled by FAST_STARTUP = 1 in the .uqlxrc file.

I think I tried that, and it did not show the F1/F2 start screen. Just a quick flash of the RAM test pattern.

The manual states "Set to 1 if you want to skip the usual RAM test (default), or set it to 0 if you want to enjoy the Ram test pattern"


User avatar
XorA
Super Gold Card
Posts: 547
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:31 am
Location: Shotts, North Lanarkshire, Scotland, UK

Re: Ubuntu 14.04.4 and uqlx2017

Postby XorA » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:09 am

Martin_Head wrote:
XorA wrote:
Martin_Head wrote:On another point, When UQLX starts. I don't get the QDOS/Minerva start screen, it just goes straight into monitor mode as if F1 had been pressed. Is this an option that I can turn off, or have the supplied ROM images been patched to auto F1 on start up?


Its controlled by FAST_STARTUP = 1 in the .uqlxrc file.

I think I tried that, and it did not show the F1/F2 start screen. Just a quick flash of the RAM test pattern.

The manual states "Set to 1 if you want to skip the usual RAM test (default), or set it to 0 if you want to enjoy the Ram test pattern"


Ah I forgot it pushes the F1/F2 key automatically, but its a compile time option. So its not actually skipped, just too fast for you to see.


User avatar
tofro
QL Wafer Drive
Posts: 1423
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:53 pm
Location: SW Germany

Re: Ubuntu 14.04.4 and uqlx2017

Postby tofro » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:19 pm

I'm not sure why you would want to use TV mode in uqlx - That doesn't make much sense to me, as the reason, the small screen and some characters lost on the left doesn't really apply here.

The ROMs are not patched, to my knowledge, but rather an F1 key press is simulated after starting the emulator.

Tobias


ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Derek_Stewart
QL Wafer Drive
Posts: 1110
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Runcorn, Cheshire, UK

Re: Ubuntu 14.04.4 and uqlx2017

Postby Derek_Stewart » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:08 pm

Hi,

I downloaded the UQLX2017 source file from QL Homepage:

http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/emu/uqlx-fork-master.zip

There is no uqlx.html file in the docs dirctory, whereas on github the file is there. why the :roll: difference, as the missing doc file gives import information with regards to UQLX.

A question about UQLX, if F1 is automatically keyed by the emulator, how do I initialise the Second Screen, which is F3 or F4.


Regards,

Derek
User avatar
tofro
QL Wafer Drive
Posts: 1423
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:53 pm
Location: SW Germany

Re: Ubuntu 14.04.4 and uqlx2017

Postby tofro » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:25 pm

Derek_Stewart wrote:A question about UQLX, if F1 is automatically keyed by the emulator, how do I initialise the Second Screen, which is F3 or F4.


That's simple. It's not implemented.

Tobias


ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Derek_Stewart
QL Wafer Drive
Posts: 1110
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Runcorn, Cheshire, UK

Re: Ubuntu 14.04.4 and uqlx2017

Postby Derek_Stewart » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:52 am

tofro wrote:
Derek_Stewart wrote:A question about UQLX, if F1 is automatically keyed by the emulator, how do I initialise the Second Screen, which is F3 or F4.


That's simple. It's not implemented.

Tobias


Hi,

I did not realise that the second screen was not implemented.

How hard would it be to implement the second screen.?

Can the F1/F2 prompt screen be available as a command line option or definable in the .uqlxrc file?


Regards,

Derek
Martin_Head
Gold Card
Posts: 336
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:17 pm

Re: Ubuntu 14.04.4 and uqlx2017

Postby Martin_Head » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:35 am

tofro wrote:I'm not sure why you would want to use TV mode in uqlx - That doesn't make much sense to me, as the reason, the small screen and some characters lost on the left doesn't really apply here.

The ROMs are not patched, to my knowledge, but rather an F1 key press is simulated after starting the emulator.

Tobias
It's no big deal, Like Derek Stewart, I wondered about Minerva's second screen support.


User avatar
XorA
Super Gold Card
Posts: 547
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:31 am
Location: Shotts, North Lanarkshire, Scotland, UK

Re: Ubuntu 14.04.4 and uqlx2017

Postby XorA » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:03 pm

Derek_Stewart wrote:
tofro wrote:
Derek_Stewart wrote:A question about UQLX, if F1 is automatically keyed by the emulator, how do I initialise the Second Screen, which is F3 or F4.


That's simple. It's not implemented.

Tobias


Hi,

I did not realise that the second screen was not implemented.

How hard would it be to implement the second screen.?

Can the F1/F2 prompt screen be available as a command line option or definable in the .uqlxrc file?


Both are about 30 mins work for someone. They are simple changes to the code.


User avatar
dilwyn
Mr QL
Posts: 1362
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:39 pm
Location: Wales
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu 14.04.4 and uqlx2017

Postby dilwyn » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:19 pm

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

I downloaded the UQLX2017 source file from QL Homepage:

http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/emu/uqlx-fork-master.zip

There is no uqlx.html file in the docs dirctory, whereas on github the file is there. why the :roll: difference, as the missing doc file gives import information with regards to UQLX.

Thanks Derek.
Not knowing the first thing about uQLx and being afraid of breaking the archive or something, what I've done is to add the uqlx.html as a separate file just after the uQLx 2017 sources on the Emulators page. Hope this helps.


Dilwyn
All things QL: see www.dilwyn.me.uk

Return to “QL Emulation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests