SD Card Duplication

Anything QL Software or Programming Related.
RWAP
RWAP Master

SD Card Duplication

Post by RWAP »

For anyone considering releasing software for the Q68, I have now acquired an SD card duplicator, so can offer to duplicate SD cards for £1 each (plus postage - you supply the SD cards). :D

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: SD Card Duplication

Post by Dave »

I bought an SD duplicator once. I had to return it because although it copied all the data on the device, it never copied the boot block so it couldn't make bootable copies. If yours can do that, maybe you'd share the model and your experiences with it?

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Dave wrote:I bought an SD duplicator once. I had to return it because although it copied all the data on the device, it never copied the boot block so it couldn't make bootable copies. If yours can do that, maybe you'd share the model and your experiences with it?
It was purchased second hand to do mainly Linux SD card duplication. I have not checked with FAT formatted SD cards, but for the linux ones, it does an image copy so copies everything over. I think the problem might be with FAT formatted cards, it will switch to just copying the files over for speed - how do I test it ?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

RWAP wrote:
Dave wrote:I bought an SD duplicator once. I had to return it because although it copied all the data on the device, it never copied the boot block so it couldn't make bootable copies. If yours can do that, maybe you'd share the model and your experiences with it?
It was purchased second hand to do mainly Linux SD card duplication. I have not checked with FAT formatted SD cards, but for the linux ones, it does an image copy so copies everything over. I think the problem might be with FAT formatted cards, it will switch to just copying the files over for speed - how do I test it ?
Hi Rich,

I have one of those, it is a builtin SD Card reader in 2 laptops I have one running Windows 7, read and writes SD Card for the Q68 in FAT16, FAT32 formats, using the open source Win32 Disk Imager, link is:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

or in Linux, use the dd command.

Regards,

Derek
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

I guess this is the wrong forum to say no-one cares about boot sector anymore, UEFI doesn't use it :-D

(waits to be pelted by the greybeards)

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

The QL does UEFI ? ;-)

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I know this might come as a shock to you guys, but I do use operating systems other than AH ROM QDOS! :P

I needed to copy 500 bootable linux SD cards for the Raspberry Pi.

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Pr0f wrote:The QL does UEFI ? ;-)
No, but it also doesnt care about MBR boot sector either :-)

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Rich's company services clients of more than just the QL.

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

Dave wrote:Rich's company services clients of more than just the QL.
I don't think any Sinclair systems (ZX81, ZX Spectrum) care about boot sectors on SD cards...

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)