Testing Tetroid backplane and GC

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
tetroid
Over Heated PSU

Re: Testing Tetroid backplane and GC

Post by tetroid »

Dave wrote:Additional info: my Gold Card doesn't work on the backplane with buffers, ROM 2.49. It does work on the backplane without the buffer card, but locks up about every 20-30 minutes. Before locking up, I get individual pixels of screen corruption. I can get the logic analyzer on it at the weekend when I have some free time and see what's going on with mine if you like?
Thank you, Dave.

This is very helpful, if possible.

I still have my QL items still available, anyone interested, please contact me at tetroid@inbox.ru
Doug
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Doug »

Dave wrote:Additional info: my Gold Card doesn't work on the backplane with buffers, ROM 2.49.
Is yours a version 1, Dave?

Seeing as you have the latest ROM and it still isn't working for you, I'm just trying to judge the likelihood of this being the sole issue preventing my V3 card from working with the backplane, or if there may be further issues. If yours is a earlier version of the card, perhaps that is affecting compatibility in your case. If it isn't an older card then that scuppers my speculation!

Something else I need to check again later to be sure, but there seems to be a peculiarity with my card in that it does not seem to have Toolkit II at all - it isn't referenced on the boot screen, and typing tk2_ext at the command prompt produces an error, like it isn't there. Maybe the previous owner changed something to remove this... (Can't check the manual at the moment, as Dilwyn's site seems to be down)
tetroid wrote:I can send 2.49 ROM but delivery period from Russia may be long, approx 2 weeks.
If you have EEPROM programmer you can use any 64Kx8 ROM.

If not - I can send.
Tetroid, thanks for your help. I would like to get the 2.49 ROM from you as I don't have any equipment to do it. I can do PayPal, just PM me the details.

Cheers,

Doug

Doug
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Doug »

(...I checked that Toolkit II issue again and it seems to be ok now, typing tk2_ext gives the expected response. It must have been a conflict with other hardware when it wasn't working previously. It still doesn't mention it on the boot screen, but as far as I know, that could be normal...)

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

My GC that was being problematic is a QUANTA-built issue 3. On close inspection, I found a DRAM socket pin was cracked and it was a thermal expansion issue. Now the socket has been replaced, the unit is working properly on the backplane. V3, 2.49 ROM with TKII present.

Doug
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Doug »

Ah, good to hear! Sounds like updating the ROM should hopefully be all I need then. Thanks Dave

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

The funny thing is, when I replaced the RAM to repair the GC originally, it was that exact pin that was broken on the RAM itself - I guess the expansion was putting enough pressure on it to cause two breaks on the same pin - one on the IC package and another in the IC socket.

Doug
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Doug »

Just to say a big thank you to Tetroid, for sending me the updated ROM for my Gold Card. I'm extremely pleased to say it is now working with the backplane!! And with the Tetroid battery replacement module added in, it is also telling the right time!

It took some willpower to go outside (and enjoy the current spell of nice weather here in the UK) this weekend, when the urge to do more QL tinkering was also strong!

Now that I have hard disks, floppy drives, and accelerated performance on one machine all at the same time, the QL is really cooking!! (In both figurative senses :lol: )

Doug
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by Doug »

...I'll be digging out some black Lego pieces to construct a makeshift housing for the cards and backplane.

And I've just about gotten used to the ideal combination of emulators and the Habi image editor to transfer files without corruption/header issues, so I can start playing around with some more software. :D

Next step: getting a mouse and a joystick working!