TRD format compatible with QL?

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
towmater
ROM Dongle

TRD format compatible with QL?

Post by towmater »

I connected a 1.44 standard Gotek onto my QL/Trump and it wasn't super compatible. Is the TRD (Spectrum TR-DOS) format usable, and of any advantage? It is one of the formats supported by the FlashFloppy firmware replacement project.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: TRD format compatible with QL?

Post by Dave »

The Trump card is 720K. If you want to use the 1.44MB mode you need to connect it to a (Super) Gold Card.

I used to have a Gotek and many others have used them successfully.

dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

towmater wrote:Is the TRD (Spectrum TR-DOS) format usable, and of any advantage?
No, Trump Card (andf QL) is incompatible with TR-DOS format (and its silly sector size 256 bytes).

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Dave wrote:The Trump card is 720K. If you want to use the 1.44MB mode you need to connect it to a (Super) Gold Card.

I used to have a Gotek and many others have used them successfully.
What Dave says, the actual physical sector format is the same as a PC.

towmater
ROM Dongle

Post by towmater »

The QL also came with a CST Q-disc, any chance that is 1.44 compatible? I don't think the CST has any extra RAM though. No 720KB Goteks seem to be available easily any longer, which is why I inquired about the FlashFloppy firmware, which seems to be based on Lotharek's open-sourced floppy emu product.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

towmater wrote:The QL also came with a CST Q-disc, any chance that is 1.44 compatible? I don't think the CST has any extra RAM though. No 720KB Goteks seem to be available easily any longer, which is why I inquired about the FlashFloppy firmware, which seems to be based on Lotharek's open-sourced floppy emu product.
The CST also does not support 1.44MB floppy disk drives - only the Gold Card and Super Gold Card support those.

I have used a HxC Floppy Disk emulator successfully with a range of disk drive units and even uploaded a little guide to using them onto Dilwyn's Sinclair QL Homepage - http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/docs/manuals/Si ... rticle.pdf