Q68 New users and general usage thread

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Q68 New users and general usage thread

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Sorry for being negative.

The Q68 SD Card is a demonstration of what can be done.

If what I have done is not suitable then just write your own boot file. As we all can write SBASIC commands and start our machines.

Personally, I like the non-graphical systems, in Linux, I like the command line. Another reason for not using Windows all the time and IOS is unbearable, you have to have a GUI to do anything unless you know UNIX.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

martyn_hill wrote:This was my first experience of a rock solid display for the first time on a non-emulated QL - gorgeous!
I'm glad about this feedback, because trying to work out the best compromise for video was a lot of work.

There is such a large range between CRT monitors and the latest HDMI widescreens - and satisfying them all with a system that also needs to support 512x256 is not easy. The experience was, that even perfect VESA 1024x768 is not always best, although systems are specified for it. I made minor timing modifications to support a wider range of VGA to HDMI converters, but it remains a compromise.

From the feedback gathered by now, I'm glad I didn't try the "Spectrum Next" way of generating HDMI directly. Not only for the enormous HDMI licensing costs, but also because mass production VGA-to-HDMI converters get a lot more testing than a single person can arrange. The first serious problems reported for the "Next", even though they had a much larger development team than Q68, and less screen resolutions to support, was HDMI. No complaints about Q68 video yet.

The 512x384 highcolour mode is my personal favorite. The only problem is that some applications were written for PC emulators, not with modest screen resolutions in mind.

msch
ROM Dongle

Post by msch »

I got my Q68 this morning - great job to all involved!
In the german ZX-Team Forums I recently posted some photos:
http://forum.tlienhard.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =25#p33895

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Cool, thanks! Just one of them as direct post here. ;)
q68_board.jpg

bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Post by bixio60 »

Hi,
I also received my Q68 one week ago....great job !
Peter for HW and Derek for packaging and SW, really thank you.
- I noted that all my LCD are fine with Q68 , but i found a 15" Nec Multisync is really brilliant and clear.
- I also found a Wireless Logitech system (Keyb and Mouse)
- Updated the Smsqe on SD because the version I received was probably a preliminary version, I used the last 3.32 released few days ago from Wolfgang (reset command did not work....)
- Created a new SD partitioned with 2 partitions, one Fat32 for QLWA.win and other Fat16 for exchanging files and finally Istalled my QLWA.win I am using normally on others system.
Et voila ....happy :D

More will come....

Regards

Fabrizio

bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Post by bixio60 »

....i am embarassed because in the rush to write I forgot to thank Wolfgang for the huge job to port smsq/e to Q68 :)

Fabrizio

bixio60 wrote:Hi,
I also received my Q68 one week ago....great job !
Peter for HW and Derek for packaging and SW, really thank you.
- I noted that all my LCD are fine with Q68 , but i found a 15" Nec Multisync is really brilliant and clear.
- I also found a Wireless Logitech system (Keyb and Mouse)
- Updated the Smsqe on SD because the version I received was probably a preliminary version, I used the last 3.32 released few days ago from Wolfgang (reset command did not work....)
- Created a new SD partitioned with 2 partitions, one Fat32 for QLWA.win and other Fat16 for exchanging files and finally Istalled my QLWA.win I am using normally on others system.
Et voila ....happy :D

More will come....

Regards

Fabrizio

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Fabrizo,

I am glad you like the Q68 and it works with your setup.

The SMSQ/E with supplied was a full release of SMSQ/E, Wolfgang released an updated version of SMSQ/E on 10/12/2017. There was some bug fixes, but the operating works the same.

I fid update the applications software to include Q-Dock and QL/E, this showing examples of what can done in the Q68 Hi-Colour modes. I am looking at getting Black Pheonix running on the Q68.

But if you want a very fast QL to run older software, try using DISP_MODE 1 (512x256 4/8 colours), this mode us a very QL compatible environment. Most the Digital Precison software runs perfectly.

I did include MDI & FDI to access the MDV & FLP images. Look in the FLP directory, which has FLP images to try.

Any suggestion or ehancements are welcome.

Regards,

Derek
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Mine will likely arrive while I am on vacation. Bah!

Hopefully, not signature required.

vico
ROM Dongle

Post by vico »

hello everyone!

Who sells the new Q68?

can you post a link?

TNX

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

vico wrote:hello everyone!

Who sells the new Q68?

can you post a link?

TNX
Hi,

I produce the Q68, there is no sales link at present, I am still working my way through pre-sales orders.

I have sold all Q68 Batch 1 orders and have ordered new PCBs for Batch 2, this should be available in Febraury 2018.

I will add you to the Batch 2 list.

Regards,

Derek