Q68 serial

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Q68 serial

Post by Dave »

The manual says:
Serial port with up to 115200 (460000) Baud, external 9 pin SubD connector

A serial port is provided on a PC standard male 9 pin SubD connector. It uses RS-232 compatible trans-
ceivers capable of up to 460 kBaud in hardware. Software support was tested up to 115200 Baud.

Please note that the Q68 does not use the original QL SER1 / SER2 pinout. The hardware delivers serial
mouse power supply. The Q68 operates at a 7 or 8 bit rate. There is no parity nor hardware handshake.
Has anyone tested speeds above 115200 yet? Are those speeds accessible from within SMSQ/E? S*BASIC?

Is it unbuffered? There's no RTS/CTS or XON/XOFF handshaking according to the manual.

I have a wifi/internet enabled game I want to port to it. It would allow true multiplayer games, for the cost of a small and cheap embedded wifi adapter. This would also bring high speed standards-based encryption/decryption to the Q68.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Q68 serial

Post by tofro »

We have tested Sernet at 115.2k - worked perfectly fine.

Anything beyond that is currently missing OS support (and thus, a real application).

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Dave wrote:Is it unbuffered? There's no RTS/CTS or XON/XOFF handshaking according to the manual.
It has a 16 bytes hardware buffer (FIFO), plus whatever the OS or application provides as software buffer.

XON/XOFF is software handshake, I don't see why that should not work, nor where the User's Manual tells that.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Peter wrote:
Dave wrote:Is it unbuffered? There's no RTS/CTS or XON/XOFF handshaking according to the manual.
It has a 16 bytes hardware buffer (FIFO), plus whatever the OS or application provides as software buffer.

XON/XOFF is software handshake, I don't see why that should not work, nor where the User's Manual tells that.
It says that in the full SMSQ/E manual I think.... Sorry I wasn't specific that I wasn't being specific about which manual ;)

I have an application that would benefit from faster throughput....

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have tested Q68 to QPC2, Q68 to Q60, Q68 to Q68, using Sernet at 115200 baud, using a commerical Null Modem cable. All worked very nicely

The main problem with connection above 115200 Baud, I do not have anything other a Q68 that the serial port supports serial speeds exceeding 115200 Baud.

If you can give an example I will see if I can give it a try.

Regards,

Derek