New QL backplane.

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: New QL backplane.

Post by Dave »

I had a couple of things come up today, but here are some assembled and tested Miniplanes!
Three 1->2 and five 1->3 Miniplanes.
Three 1->2 and five 1->3 Miniplanes.
People who PM'd me, I'll PM you back this evening with order details :)

This is the 3-way version:
IMG_1628.jpg
This is the 2-way version:
IMG_1629.jpg
With 2 thru connectors: $29 (which is apparently £22.50 or €26.00)
With 3 thru connectors: $36 (which is apparently £28.00 or €32.50)

Shipping to Europe parcel post is flat rate $13.50 £10.50 €12.25 up to half a pound (four backplanes). Within US is $5.

If you'd like just the PCB and manual, I can mail it first class letter. The PCB is $8.50 £6.56 €7.72 including 1st class mail worldwide. You'll need to provide your own DIN41612 connectors and vinyl (to insulate the keyboard metal so the upside down card doesn't short).

All assembled backplanes ship with a detailed manual explaining assembly and installation, and a piece of vinyl.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Based on orders and people I have messaged back who haven't replied yet, I am just about sold out for this batch.

I'll work on getting some more DIN connectors so I can make a bigger batch. I'll try to find the connectors at a better price so I can lower prices as much as possible.

Paul
Gold Card

Post by Paul »

If you like I could make a European batch as the shipment cost is quite high.
Kind regards Paul

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

The shipment cost isn't high when you remember there are no taxes, and the shipping is only about 1.5x the cost of shipping within the EU. However, I may have found a much more economical supplier for DIN connectors thanks to Derek Stewart.

The price will drop quickly. Derek will be handling UK assembly after this batch sells through.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

All currently paid orders are now shipped. Any orders after today will ship Tuesday due to Memorial Day weekend.

After this batch is gone, Paul in Germany will take over assembly. It definitely will make it cheaper than shipping from the US.

afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

Dave wrote:After this batch is gone, Paul in Germany will take over assembly. It definitely will make it cheaper than shipping from the US.
Hi, Dave.

I sent you a private message few days ago but I have not had any response.

Should I wait for your answer or should I contact with Paul for qlplane orders?

Best regards.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Ok, I've sold through the entire stock of DIN connectors as of now.

I'll start taking orders again next week when more connectors arrive. They cost a bit less, so I'll be adjusting the price to reflect the lower costs.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

afx wrote:
Dave wrote:After this batch is gone, Paul in Germany will take over assembly. It definitely will make it cheaper than shipping from the US.
Hi, Dave.

I sent you a private message few days ago but I have not had any response.

Should I wait for your answer or should I contact with Paul for qlplane orders?

Best regards.
Heh, I answered this in PM that day but forgot to acknowledge it here.

afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

Dave wrote:Heh, I answered this in PM that day but forgot to acknowledge it here.
Sorry. Yes, everything is correct. Thanks Dave.

Cheers!

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I have just the last few miniplanes before I send the PCBs to Paul in Germany. I received a few orders over the weekend, which I mailed out today because the mailman just never came yesterday. Probably hung over!
Mail run!
Mail run!
IMG_1637.jpg (18.25 KiB) Viewed 4162 times
Interestingly, this whole idea came about because I needed to be able to test a prototype on a QL and needed to have a Gold Card plugged in too. The card didn't have a thru-conn, and the QL/Aurora was uncased, so I needed this:
Hail Hydra!
Hail Hydra!
IMG_1638.jpg (51.83 KiB) Viewed 4162 times
With hindsight, I find it incredibly useful and a huge timesaver. It only works if you use an uncased QL motherboard or Aurora, though. It seems like an oversight that I didn't offer this to any developers out there. So, you folks in Europe can get your grubby mitts on this fantastic developer's tool for a measly £26.00, SHIPPED for a 2-way version or £31.50 for a 3-way version. That's about £4 cheaper than the regular miniplanes - support your local developer. They'll be custom made to order one-offs.

I have DIN connectors remaining to assemble four more backplanes, total, then it'll be a few weeks wait before Paul has his available.

Finally, where do I design these things? Here!
This is where the magic happens!
This is where the magic happens!
IMG_1636.jpg (16.99 KiB) Viewed 4162 times
My main workspace is a 42" 4K monitor. That tiny thing in to the right is a 27" 2K monitor. I am SO close to finishing building my lab! As soon as it's ready, I will post photos of my work areas! In the meantime, I'm assembling with the old Weller by my computer!

Thank you everyone for being supportive. I appreciate you all so much :D