I broke my toe last night...

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
Dave
SandySuperQDave

I broke my toe last night...

Post by Dave »

I broke my toe last night. I walked into the living room, and DW had slightly moved the coffee table while cleaning. *BANG!*

This is the second time I have broken a toe because she's moved things.

Her policy is to go to the doctor/hospital, and to pay the $2,500 or so that it costs for them to x-ray it and prod it, then put some tape on it and tell you to not walk on it until it heals.

My policy (after learning this) is to make sure the tip of the toe still has blood flow, then let it be until the swelling has reached the maximum, *then* tape it and let it heal.

I mean, what are they going to do for a broken next-to-little-toe? Microsurgery? (Well, ok, yeah, they just might if they think the insurance company would pay for their unnecessary procedure!)

Yeah, it freakin' hurts. I'm such a baby when it comes to things like this.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: I broke my toe last night...

Post by dilwyn »

Dave wrote:I broke my toe last night. I walked into the living room, and DW had slightly moved the coffee table while cleaning. *BANG!*
This is the second time I have broken a toe because she's moved things.
Shouldn't laugh (but he he)... that's what you got for "slapping" Rich with a wet haddock on the online chat last night (OK, I know he tried to ruin your quiz with a silly answer, but...)
Dave wrote:Her policy is to go to the doctor/hospital, and to pay the $2,500 or so that it costs for them to x-ray it and prod it, then put some tape on it and tell you to not walk on it until it heals.
Mmmm, thank goodness for state health services like our NHS when you hear things like this. Seriously, though, hope you have insurance.
Dave wrote:My policy (after learning this) is to make sure the tip of the toe still has blood flow, then let it be until the swelling has reached the maximum, *then* tape it and let it heal.
I mean, what are they going to do for a broken next-to-little-toe? Microsurgery? (Well, ok, yeah, they just might if they think the insurance company would pay for their unnecessary procedure!)
Yeah, it freakin' hurts. I'm such a baby when it comes to things like this.
You could always 3D print a support moulding for it, then use one of the new Minerva Mkii's I2C interfaces to monitor the blood flow. Which might in turn encourage you to make a portable QL2 to connect it to! :twisted:

Think it might be my turn for a wet haddock slap later on the online chat...

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

In compensatory cheery news, my cable company emailed me today and told me they're rolling out speed increases to their plans. I think they're responding to the threat of google fiber.

My plan is going to go from 50 mbps down and 5 mbps up to 300 mbps down and 20 mbps up, some time in the coming weeks. :)

No change in price.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Get well soon!

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Dave,
sure you will be able to actually /use/ the 250Mbit up? I guess most of it will be occupied by get-well wishes.

"Get Well soon"!!

Tobias
doctor_knuckle_big_toe_paralyzed_237175.jpg

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Wow, that image loaded so fast it arrived before the sound!

Toe does hurt, but I used the time productively - today I partially assembled 20+ Minerva MK IIs and did a new fully SMD design for Minerva Mk I (low cost version).

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

Well, apart from the old corny old jokes like, "now you've put your foot in it!" and "you take one step forward and two steps back" type of thing, I shall just wish you a quick recovery :D

I hope you don't need a walking stick, otherwise some will really stick it to you :?

I also hear that you are working on an ankle range finder / object detector :P

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

*mutters darkly*

Wait, it was darkness that got me into this mess in the first place!

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

With all that moving about, you're lucky you didn't get towed away

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Mr_Navigator wrote:With all that moving about, you're lucky you didn't get towed away
:D

After this, he'll be taking a toe-tal break after his wife kept him the dark about furniture movements... I propose a toe-ast to you both! :lol:

Apart from all the leg-pulling, best wishes for a quick recovery, Dave.
At least it means you can spend as much time on QL peripherals as you like now.