1990s - QLs spotted in Uni shocker!

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
twellys
Bent Pin Expansion Port

1990s - QLs spotted in Uni shocker!

Post by twellys »

A long... long... time ago, when dinosaurs roamed the earth*, well 1992-ish, a pimply faced youth (PFY) toured the electronic engineering facility of Edinburgh University. In one room, there were lots of QLs powered up. When the PFY asked what the QLs were doing, the head of department said the QLs were doing data-logging.

Although the PFY did not get into Edinburh, the PFY still wonders what happened to the QLs? Are they still data-logging in a forgotten room, somewhere? Or are they in data-logging heaven (like doggy heaven, but without the dogs, obviously)?

???

* Apparently.

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Re: 1990s - QLs spotted in Uni shocker!

Post by Sparrowhawk »

I remember reading that a lot of QLs were in use at Strathclyde university but that they soon fell out of favour when put against new PC XTs, and also lots "disappeared", especially around the end of term time.

I can't recall where I read that though, so take it with a pinch of salt

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

When I went to uni we had sun sparc machines with an early optical mouse with a reflective silver foil mouse mat. They were awful!

dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

I remember reading that a lot of QLs were in use at Strathclyde university but that they soon fell out of favour when put against new PC XTs, and also lots "disappeared", especially around the end of term time.
QL NEWS No. 2, page 5.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... GRiNWMzY2M
(BTW, anyone has the QL NEWS No. 1?)

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

dex wrote:
QL NEWS No. 2, page 5.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... GRiNWMzY2M
(BTW, anyone has the QL NEWS No. 1?)
qlnews1.jpg
Scan of page 1 above. This was in a set of files from my old QL History material I sent to Urs, which were included on the last QL Today DVD. I can't seem to find the other pages, but if I do...