Next Gen QL…

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Next Gen QL…

Post by Dave »

Today I am picking up two 68040 based black computers. One is a Next Cube and the other is a Next slab. Pics and deets will follow. They both have a similar design language to the QL, which makes me wonder if Steve Jobs saw one?

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Re: Next Gen QL…

Post by NormanDunbar »

Dave wrote:which makes me wonder if Steve Jobs saw one?
Well, from what I've heard, Steve/Apple never really did anything truly original, at least, not after the Apple 2e (or was it ][e?) I've read that the iPad and iPod were bought in, as was the iPhone.

Happy to be corrected though, I may have been misled -- it has happened before.

Having said that, I always wanted a Next Cube. Way over my salary grade at the time though.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

NormanDunbar wrote:Well, from what I've heard, Steve/Apple never really did anything truly original,
I'm pretty sure that was Xerox ;)

When Apple/Jobs developed anything entirely new, then it definitely was the idea that something as technical as a computer could simply sell by its looks. I'd say the pure black and boxy design was just en vogue 6-8 years after the QL - The (black) Sharp X68000 could have been a Dickinson design as well.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I had thoughts about a Q60Cube, but it seemed that I was too late as Apple had got there first.

But now a Q60 Shuttle would be the thing.

Regards,

Derek
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

tofro wrote:I'm pretty sure that was Xerox ;)
Do you mean, the "stole"/copied/based some kit on Xerox Parc inventions? Or Xerox "stole" from Apple?

The Lisa was definitely borrowed from Xerox Parc work. I saw one once at a demo in Aberdeen when I was on college placement at the computer centre for the North of Scotland Hydro Electric Board. I was impressed!

At least one of the iGadgets, possibly two, were bought in. At least, according to a documentary on Apple I watched some time back. This gist was that Steve was great at marketing but not so good at designing stuff in the first place.

I must get around to reading the book about him sometime. Actually, I must get around to reading anything sometime!

Cheers,
Norm.

Ruptor
Gold Card

Post by Ruptor »

NormanDunbar wrote:Do you mean, the "stole"/copied/based some kit on Xerox Parc inventions? Or Xerox "stole" from Apple?
30+ years ago I watched a documentary that showed Xerox had developed an electronic office and the team leader explained that management didn't want to market it because it would reduce the requirement for paper copies. Short sited profits were in at that time even to the point of getting rid of R & D because it reduced the share price. :roll: The team leader reluctantly showed the pre Apple guys & others around at the direction of the Xerox management and we all know what happened next. I don't know which decision was worse that one or the air ministry telling Frank Whittle we don't need to go that fast with a jet engine. :lol:

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

The Whittle one!

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

NormanDunbar wrote:
tofro wrote:I'm pretty sure that was Xerox ;)
Do you mean, the "stole"/copied/based some kit on Xerox Parc inventions? Or Xerox "stole" from Apple?
I'm a bit embarrassed that this needs explanation. Mabe my quirky way of doing humor:

Xerox == copying machines == never do anything original == copies only.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

tofro wrote:I'm a bit embarrassed that this needs explanation. Mabe my quirky way of doing humor:

Xerox == copying machines == never do anything original == copies only.
Sh1t! Sh1t! Sh1t! :(

Ok, my bad (as the yoof of today would, apparently, say) I missed it completely. And I'm a firm believer in really bad humour! I have to admit that my experience with Xerox has been always to do with printing. I implemented Xerox mainframe printing when working in Aberdeen City Council many years ago, and converted us from god knows how many different pre-printed forms, to a single paper type, plain A4. The laser printer was bigger than the mainframe! We saved shed loads of dosh for the "public and citizens of Aberdeen".

We also had a number of Xerox "desktop" laser printers that we used too. But, never any Xerox copiers!

I blame this for my inability to see your joke. Sorry.

Cheers,
Norm.

Silvester
Gold Card

Post by Silvester »

Re: tofro Xerox reference

IIRC there was an early documentary on Steve Jobs (CH4?) which pointed out that although Xerox PARC spent a lot of money recruiting bright post-grads to envision what the electronic office would be like (and came up with WIMP environment), they didn't use it themselves but generously made it public for free. Apple were happy to use that free work, and Steve Jobs happy to be freely mentored by the great Robert Noyce, but then over zealously protected his own company's work (just google 'Steve Jobs' + 'destroy'*).

(* It wasn't just the Android thing, it was that he wanted to dominate concepts like iPad and iPhone)

David