Forum weirdness?

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Forum weirdness?

Post by NormanDunbar »

Is anyone else seeing forum weirdness recently?‽

I normally pick up unread posts via the "new posts" link. Recently I had a mass listing of old posts which were definitely not new. They were at least a couple of months old.

This morning I have three messages quoted according to my alerts, but all were back in August.

It's all very strange.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: Forum weirdness?

Post by dilwyn »

NormanDunbar wrote:Is anyone else seeing forum weirdness recently?‽
I normally pick up unread posts via the "new posts" link. Recently I had a mass listing of old posts which were definitely not new. They were at least a couple of months old.
This morning I have three messages quoted according to my alerts, but all were back in August.
It's all very strange.
Cheers,
Norm.
It does happen to me sometimes too, but not regularly. For the most part I have gone back to using Blogtrotter for reading posts - it sends them to me by email (convenient when I can access emails while away). I didn't mention it before now because I assumed it was being caused by some interaction with Blogtrottr, or my own incompetence (or both).

Also, I still don't get email notifications of PMs. I did report that months ago to the admins as, have others.

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

dilwyn wrote:Also, I still don't get email notifications of PMs. I did report that months ago to the admins as, have others.
Me too, since a few weeks after the beginning.

4E75 7000
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I used to use Blogtrotter, which works quite well, but then I realised that the Forum has RSS facilties. So I created a RSS Feed account in Thunderbird, using the RSS address for QL Forum: http://qlforum.co.uk/feed.php

For the past 5 plus years, I get QL Forum messages by Thunderbird along with email messages.

If I want to reply to a message, I click on the Hyperlink in the RSS feed message and it takes me to the QL Forum Web Site and after logging in, I can reply.

I find this more easier than third party emailers, I have other Feed account streaming centrally into Thunderbird, this also working in Outlook and other good email applications.

There looks to be a bug in the Forum software concerning Email Updates from new Private Messages, the Administrators say that they are going to update the Forum software soon.

Regards,

Derek
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

I used to use Blogtrotter, which works quite well, but then I realised that the Forum has RSS facilties. So I created a RSS Feed account in Thunderbird, using the RSS address for QL Forum: http://qlforum.co.uk/feed.php

For the past 5 plus years, I get QL Forum messages by Thunderbird along with email messages.
I used to rely on RSS feeds into Windows Live Mail, which worked well enough - I'm sure Thunderbird will do at least as well. Blogtrotter feeding into my Gmail does what I need of it at the moment. Very occasionally, Blogtrotter seems to lose its configured information, but when that happens it's easy enough to log back in and reset them.
Derek_Stewart wrote:If I want to reply to a message, I click on the Hyperlink in the RSS feed message and it takes me to the QL Forum Web Site and after logging in, I can reply.

I find this more easier than third party emailers, I have other Feed account streaming centrally into Thunderbird, this also working in Outlook and other good email applications.
Yes, I can do the same with the emails from Blogtrotter, very convenient.
Derek_Stewart wrote:There looks to be a bug in the Forum software concerning Email Updates from new Private Messages, the Administrators say that they are going to update the Forum software soon.
Thanks Derek, that will be great. It's not too bad for me, I'm on the Forum often enough to pick up Private Message notifications. But I'm sure would be a welcome "fix" for those not logged on the Forum as regularly as I am.