Win 10 update

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: Win 10 update

Post by dilwyn »

No, these are the Windows builds, as reported by WINVER
Desktop 1: 1909-18363.1316
Desktop 2: 2004-19041.746
Laptop: 1909-18363.1256

Both desktops can see the laptop on the network, so the network itself is working. But the laptop can't see either desktop PC.

The laptop has not been switched on for a couple of weeks so should be free of recent updates until I allow them.

Most annoying this kind of thing when all the troubleshooters claim there is no problem. It should be working but isn't. Seem to spend more time fixing these computers than getting anything done. Typical - just when I had a full day at home to get things done.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

XorA wrote:self isolation update :shock:
Feels like that, except both PCs still access the laptop, but the laptop can't see either desktop PC. So weird that the network is obviously working, one of the three can be seen by everything, yet the other two can't with identical settings. So weird that there are thousands of people googling the same issue yet NOT A SINGLE ONE of the fix options works. Has to be something pretty basic, some setting that lunchtime's update changed. I'm totally stuck now and can't do anything until I get the files in sync on all the PCs.

ROM Dongle

Post by 1984 »

Hello Dilwyn,

at first glance, it looks as if the update re-and-mis-configured the firewall settings. To check if that causes the problems, you can temporarily disable the firewall of a desktop (if all machines are connected to a relatively safe home network and if you have not already tried it).

George
(humble rom dongle)

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

No, that didn't work.

ROM Dongle

Post by 1984 »

OK, so this rom dongle is a kludge.

Second (and, as I am not a Windows expert, last) try: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 2e9?page=2 (first post on page 2) suggests there is a "network reset" button in the network settings window that may help (followed by a reboot).

George

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

1984 wrote:OK, so this rom dongle is a kludge.

Second (and, as I am not a Windows expert, last) try: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 2e9?page=2 (first post on page 2) suggests there is a "network reset" button in the network settings window that may help (followed by a reboot).

George
network reset done and restarted. It asked if i wanted to turn discovery on upon restarting. I then went through the usual settings such as password off, make discoverable etc. Still no change.

ROM Dongle

Post by 1984 »

I have not been able to help, but a helpful source nearly always has been http://woshub.com/network-computers-not ... indows-10/.

At least the sheer amount of information may help your prophecy becoming a reality that you may disappear for a few days :(

George

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Yes, I've been through that page a couple of times this afternoon. Plenty of useful information on there even though it didn't resolve the issue.

I'm going to make tea now and put one of the computers affected into windows self-repair mode, just in case that turns up anything.

Thanks for trying to help.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Windows f*cking 10!

My wifevwanted to send an urgent email. Booted the laptop. "Please wait, installing updates. Do not switch off.", she said "Don't bother, I need to send this email." But of course Windows 10 doesn't allow you to turn off updates.

I sent the email from my laptop. Linux.

More that 24 hours later, still the same and there was network and disc activity still going on. It did eventually finish, and it had had some updates only a few days earlier too.

She asked if there was a way to avoid this in future, I installed Linux Mint 19. She took to it like a duck to water! And has never booted into Windows since. The only problem she has is with Zoom. Most times it's fine but occasionally, the sound doesn't work and looks to have changed sources. But it's an easy change to get working.

Note: I'm not suggesting Dilwyn chanes to Linux! I did that once before, years ago.

Good luck Dilwyn.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Finally got it working. Seems one of the recent updates (probably 2020H2) affects ethernet connections. And on systems affected, the fix is not easy.

It had crossed my mind, because the laptop was the only one connected by wifi and the only one which continued to work. I found the old wifi dongles and the PCs work over wifi, the connection then fails again when I revert to ethernet (when I say fails, the the PC can still connect to internet etc, just that PCs on the same private home network can't see each other over ethernet). From what I've read, it's not a simple driver issue, there seems to be a major breakage in windows 10 network discovery from the number of people complaining online, which M$ is not yet admitting to.