I hate BREXIT !

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: I hate BREXIT !

Post by dilwyn »

Cristian wrote:
dilwyn wrote: putting black marks on their records so they are NEVER allowed to hold positions of responsibility again.
I agree 10000000%
Returning to the topic, let me say that it's very crucial for non-British peolple to get the real opinions from those directly involved. It's a great opportunity to compare the "real people's information" with the "official" ones.
Does this count as "real information", Cristian? :twisted: :lol:
rugbyshirtmask.jpg

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Oh! Sir Patrick Stewart! Whatever he says, it's pure Truth for me! :D

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Back in December, I ordered a new mobile phone from a company which had a .co.uk domain (dealt with them before without any problems). As the sale is actually being fulfilled by a company in Ireland, the phone is now stuck in customs in The Netherlands (logical!).

Turns out:

a) it's worth more than £39 so import VAT tax at 20% will be due
b) additionally, customs duties will apply as it's over £135 which may be from 0 to 25% of the value of the item
c) a "handling charge" which couriers levy for handling paperwork and collecting the government charges, this varies by courier, Royal Mail might be £8, whereas others charge a percentage of the value of the order, e.g. DHL asks for 2.5% of the order (minimum £11).

(that information came from a BBC article, if it's wrong blame them)

So, for a £170 mobile phone I can probably expect to pay about £260. I don't know the exact amount yet as the original "delivery" got returned to sender on 30th December as they failed to properly fill out customs paperwork. The second attempt from them is now stuck somewhere in Eindhoven according to the new tracking data.

Not just phones of course. I have a friend who is releasing a vinyl record and he has had to have them pressed in the EU as there is insufficient capacity here in the UK to make them nowadays. He also faces quite punitive import charges.

So, after hearing of Andrew's experience with the 2021 changes, I thought I'd document this so that anyone buying computer gear from the EU to Britain has an idea of what they are likely to face - about 50% extra to pay if your purchase falls into "worst case" categories.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

For the moment, I've stopped buying anything from outside the UK. For these very reasons.

It's a complete cluster f*ck.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

No doubt, these are teething troubles and things will improve in a government or two.

Just to rub it in, just had an Asda grocery delivery full of mistakes, missing items, wrong quantities and very poor choice of substitutes for items out of stock. No fresh fruit (bananas, apples, oranges) available at all, which seems weird. The saving grace for me is their staff - the drivers are always pleasant, well mannered and very helpful.

I think they must have recruited Trump or Boris to run their supplies, though.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Wow, I guess BREXIT never ironed out these things (sorry for my ignorance on this, our focus in the US was on a retarded president). Will this get ironed out eventually...is this just part of the transition part?

If I order something from the UK should I expect these type of export charges.

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Well the good thing is customs is so busy f**king around with EU packages stuff from china is arriving unmolested in a few days :-D

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

XorA wrote:Well the good thing is customs is so busy f**king around with EU packages stuff from china is arriving unmolested in a few days :-D
And quickly too - also kit from the US doesn't always fall into their grubby hands :-)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

bwinkel67 wrote:Wow, I guess BREXIT never ironed out these things (sorry for my ignorance on this, our focus in the US was on a retarded president). Will this get ironed out eventually...is this just part of the transition part?

If I order something from the UK should I expect these type of export charges.
Hi,

There should be no problems with import and export to a non-EU country, unless they consider jumping the band-wagon and screwing the normal people.

The UK is punished by the EU for daring to leave their monopolised community.

Like usually it is the normal people who pay for the actions of the so-called elite...

Regards,

Derek
stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

Sorry Derek, we're not being punished, we are merely being treated as a 3rd country.

You can blame our own Government for this over the years:
  • The British government pushed for and defined the terms for 3rd countries when trading with the EU when those rules were defined.
  • The British government has known since the referendum that a massive increase in customs capability at all entry and exit points would be necessary and yet only really started planning for this about 18 months ago.
  • For political reasons the level of paperwork which would be needed for customs transfers, even in the best case scenario, if we left the single market was played down and no guidance or training was given to businesses. Indeed the Civil Service were stopped from preparing for "project fear" (i.e. the natural consequence of the action of leaving the single market).
So please don't blame the EU for following the rules that we already knew about and helped formulate (read: vigorously pushed for).

This clusterf*ck is of our own making.

P.S. Another issue has been our Inland Revenue's new rules for companies selling to UK individuals. They have required those companies to register with the UK Inland Revenue (for a fee), collect VAT and customs duties for the UK and then at the end of the year send documentation for each transaction and the money (for a fee). This makes it totally uneconomic for any small business around the World to sell into the UK. (The UK is the only country to do this.)