Newly Corona Lockdown in GB

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
RalfR
Aurora

Newly Corona Lockdown in GB

Post by RalfR »

Dear Ones.
I hope nothing happens to you and that you all stay healthy.

Keep on fighting!

4E75 7000
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Newly Corona Lockdown in GB

Post by bwinkel67 »

Stay safe!

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Don't forget if your bored of the family there is normally a few people on the chat 8pm-10pm UK time!

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

:D :D :D :D :D

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Well, my Christmas grocery order due tomorrow from Asda has half the items "unavailable", including the entire Christmas dinner, turkey and all. Apparently ordering several weeks ago doesn't guarantee anything, it depends on the stock situation at the time your order is picked, that's how the supermarkets work. I didn't have room in my freezer to order earlier and keep in the freezer. Not a problem for me living alone, I'll just have a boiled egg (actually, the eggs I wanted were out of stock too...). I could have arranged to collect from a shop I guess but I just hate the crowds this time of year.

But would have been quite a problem for a self-isolating family to lose their entire Christmas dinner this close to Christmas.

Perfect storm of Brexit, Christmas, Covid20 and the inevitable panic buying I suppose.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Pardon my "French", but what the f*ck do Asda think they are doing? If someone orders weeks in advance they should be keeping stock aside -- it's not bl00dy rocket science.

You'd be very welcome in Leeds if it wasn't for this damned virus.

I hope you manage to get something sorted out Dilwyn. In the meantime, I'd be getting in touch with head office and tearing them a new "ARchive Syntax Evaluator" hole!

I don't know if this helps: https://asda-stores.custhelp.com/app/contact.

Cheers,
Norm. [Disgusted of Leeds]

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

He he, easy now, Norm!

This is the, err, Norm for some supermarkets. It's apparently not feasible to "reserve" orders for individual deliveries. Nothing is reserved or guaranteed, your order just depends on stock availability at the time your order is picked.

I've seen it mentioned online many times and I (to some extent) knew it might happen. I knew my circumstances meant it didn't matter too much for me as I live alone. Christmas with family is just one day for us this year thanks to lockdown if we live apart from family.

Some of the order was for my brother (who is disabled and shielding) but other family members who lived closer to him had already offered to help anyway in view of the lockdown in case I failed to make it there for whatever reason. I'd planned for this possibility to some extent, but not everyone would be as relaxed about it, e.g. if this happened to a family or someone unable to go out.

I'm far more worried of course about people who are stuck in the ports and in lorries unable to get in or out of the country until politicians agree what to do.

Ruptor
Gold Card

Post by Ruptor »

dilwyn wrote:I'm far more worried of course about people who are stuck in the ports and in lorries unable to get in or out of the country until politicians agree what to do.
None of this seems to add up. Denmark and the Netherlands have the Covid variant but because we have a better plot of where it is spread across Britain and have warned others we get shut borders. One has to query whether it is a Brexit shot across the bows to force capitulation. If the EU can't give a member the same or similar deal they have given to Canada then we are better off without a deal and zero ties.
As for Asda they asked us to order early for Christmas so they would know what to stock but it seems you were very unlucky with your branch. Often there is normally one or two items missing or substituted but this time a week ago I ordered £130 worth for mum and everything arrived. :shock: It took two trolley loads from the van and the bloke was knakered. When he checked to see what substitute I was going to return he said that's a first none. It does seem ridiculous that Asda can't make sure they maintain depot stock to cover fixed orders and prefer to put it on the shelves where it might not sell.
A few thoughts for the new year that medicine needs to learn are that electricity was harnessed in the 20th century to kill pathogens but they ignore it and we are still at the mercy of pathogens that have been known about for 200 years. :roll: If electronics had made the same progress as medicine over the last 100 years we would still be using spark transmitters. The trouble is there is no money in cures. :(

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

The simple answer is that the EU is punishing the UK for daring to terminate the member to their private member club, some might even say the EU is a Cartel, trying to dictate to the rest of the world.

UK government is not the best in the world and being the Conservative party is adding Brexit to its ever increasing mistakes that they have made over the last 40 years...

Regards,

Derek
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Ruptor wrote:It took two trolley loads from the van and the bloke was knakered. (
:lol: