Today I Received...

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Today I Received...

Post by bwinkel67 »

Unsurprisingly the item was refunded today as it was wrongly listed...

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

tofro wrote:Don't hold your hopes too high because this is exactly one of the devices that work fine with my HDMI monitors but not at all with Marcel's. But nothing wrong at that price :)
"Untested" is also considered the eBay euphemism of "broken beyond repair"....
Tobias
I have an identical looking upscaler device I purchased a year or two ago. Like Tobias, I too had mixed results.

With one TV, it gave a perfect, rock-steady display with the full 512 pixel QL display visible. Sadly, on another monitor with HDMI, there was a visible picture, but very fuzzy with distorted text etc. So I reverted to using its SCART input for now from that QL and just put up with the loss of characters until Marcel's QL-VGA arrives.

The company I dealt with over the Simple Video Scalar (who kindly let me return it for a refund) explained that these devices can be hit and miss especially with lower cost screens, which tend to only do a few fixed resolutions so may not cope well with what the upscalers throws at them.

robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

dilwyn wrote:I have an identical looking upscaler device I purchased a year or two ago. Like Tobias, I too had mixed results.
I have the same upscaler and I found it worked quite well, however there was some pixel noise.
The best upscaler I've used is the OSSC. (Open Source Scan Converter) - The QL output is limited to 4:3, rather than the 16:9 offered by the cheaper devices.

The OSSC isn't cheap @ £150 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Source-Convert ... 988&sr=8-2
It also has a dedicated support forum - https://videogameperfection.com/forums/

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

I'm going to give it a try for only $21 it's not a big investment and I really just want a color picture in monitor mode. Unfortunately in the US no TV/monitor offers SCART input so you have to go with a converter.

When I did try my other SCART-to-HDMI, the one that could only convert Composite, the monitor handled the picture pretty well in QL F2 mode or when I tried other handheld games. I'm going to expect that it will cut off some on the left...this review is pretty spot on with regard to what I've already tried and what I've read elsewhere (no dialog just music and comparison images with text explaining the differences). It rated tied for best (though the youtuber preferred the other)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eEWO0ezbCY

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

QL bottom case I ordered off of eBay. Initially just to see how a Q68 could be mounted in but now I'm thinking of making silicone molds and may need to invest in a top case.

Surprised how nice this one is. Looks completely clean and has no warp in the plastic...absolutely straight.
QL-case.jpg
What is D09-035825?
QL-case-2.jpg

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

New toy for +3
918FDB7E-FD4A-440E-89AC-A79FE30CD157.jpeg

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

XorA wrote:New toy for +3

918FDB7E-FD4A-440E-89AC-A79FE30CD157.jpeg
They good them!

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Soooper
76B32601-37F5-4B00-ABB9-4638CA35A508.jpeg

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Look, it flies!

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

A pretty good haul today!
Todays Haul
Todays Haul

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?