Today I Received...

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: Today I Received...

Post by dilwyn »

bwinkel67 wrote:
dilwyn wrote:
NormanDunbar wrote:I think that Ralf means, your "man with an axe trashing a PC" gif, used in your avatar, is running in reverse. It looks that way to me too, but then is seems to switch to running the correct way! Weird. Optical Illusion?

Cheers,
Norm.
Ah, I see. Ah well, I've always been a bit backward, so it's kind of appropriate :lol:
I've been staring at it for a while now and can't see it. It looks forward to me so it may be one of those optical illusions that some folks can't see.
I can't see it on my desktop PC, but can on the new, slower laptop. That might be why I didn't understand what Ralf meant at first. There may also be an element of graphics performance of the computer concerned which contributes to the effect as well as some people more able to notice it than others.

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

From Rich at RWAP (via sellmyretro.com):
20220617_084954.jpg
Mug (or indeed the coffee) not included ;)

I'm looking to install it over the weekend. My QL is rather prone to key bounce, so hopefully this solves it.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Sparrowhawk wrote:From Rich at RWAP (via sellmyretro.com):

20220617_084954.jpg

I'm looking to install it over the weekend. My QL is rather prone to key bounce, so hopefully this solves it.
I love my Hermes chip...have had it since early 90's.

polka
Trump Card

Post by polka »

A little while ago, for my 74th birthday I received :

1/ I discovered recently that there was a japanese company that still made slide rules (especially circular ones), and I always dreamed of such a device : here it is, together with my original "computing device" that I was offered for Xmas in 1963.
Concise-3.jpg
2/ for travelling with my Raspberry Pi zeroW and only an HDMI cable to plug into a TV, I found this little "folding" bluetooth keyboard + mouse pad :
Keyb-Pad.jpg
3/ to use the same display (with 2 HDMI inputs) I offered my QL this SCART/HDMI to HDMI converter.
QLscart2HDMI.jpg
So now, I can use the same display, switching between either my bbQL (here running full screen) or uQLx running in a window on Raspberry Pi zeroW :
bbQL-uQLxPi0.jpg
with either a classic keyboard + mouse or the little folding bug.

BYE Paul

May the FORTH be with you !
POLKa
RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

Can someone put the disk on Dilwyn's site, or here? I have an Hermes, but not the disk.

4E75 7000
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

RalfR wrote:

Can someone put the disk on Dilwyn's site, or here? I have an Hermes, but not the disk.
Here you are...
Hermes.zip
(16.51 KiB) Downloaded 261 times

Regards,

Derek
RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Here you are...
Thank you, Derek!

4E75 7000
TitoxUnix
ROM Dongle

Post by TitoxUnix »

Today I received a new package from ' *der_englaender* ' (Chr$ ????). My german QL has its case in bad shape with some holes so I bought a 'new' one. He was very kind including a few felt pads I asked for.
der_englaender_20220920.jpg
Now I'm waiting for a new ROM socket to exange all the pieces.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

TitoxUnix wrote:Today I received a new package from ' *der_englaender* ' (Chr$ ????). My german QL has its case in bad shape with some holes so I bought a 'new' one. He was very kind including a few felt pads I asked for.
der_englaender_20220920.jpg
Now I'm waiting for a new ROM socket to exange all the pieces.
Hello, yes that was me. Pleased it found a new home.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
RichardCGH
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by RichardCGH »

Not today but in the past week or two ...

1) Raspberry Pi-400 - a very neat little Linux box with ARM 64-bit architecture. So far I'm struggling to find software / apps that run natively on it. Main use so far is watching YouTube videos
as it uses far less power than my desktop PC. Currently as I'm not interested in learning new programming languages or indulging in electronics projects I'm pretty much stuck with what the web browser lets me access.
Once I get the hang of it I'll probably find other ways of using it. What I'm not liking is the command line way of doing things - so 1980s. Doing anything involves typing some commands which I have to cut and paste off the internet as I haven't learnt the lingo yet.
2) QL disk interface. All I need do now is take my old QLs up to Aberystwyth and get the people there to fix them and install a couple of upgrades and I'll be able to use them with my new twin disk drive unit. After that I'll be buying disks off Rich Mellor to play on it. I was too busy to actually enjoy using the QL back in the day much of the time. I'll have to learn all the QL commands for doing stuff all over again too.

Thanks to all concerned for the goodies.