Today I Received...

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
robheaton
Site Admin

Re: Today I Received...

Post by robheaton »

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

fatbob_gb wrote:Retro Computer Shack only operate between Thursday 2pm and Sunday 5pm - the wiring for the QL Scart cable is shown here https://www.retrocomputershack.com/SCAR ... index.html
Thanks, that shows a change in wiring from mine. That diagram shows five resistors, whereas on the one they supplied me only 4 resistors, there is no resistor between the orange cable and pin 16.
No shops selling components around here, so I might order another cable from them as it'd be handy to have a second lead for the other QL anyway.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

dilwyn wrote:Although I might add that it looks like the wiring of the Retro Computer Shack QL-SCART cable is suspect, in that SCART pin 16 should go to QL pin 4 (Composite Synch) not QL pin 1 (composite PAL)
Pretty much doesn't matter which one, as long as it's above 0.4V. This only signals that the TV should switch to RGB mode. I have the cable from RCS, too, and as far as I know it's fine.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

dilwyn wrote:
fatbob_gb wrote:Retro Computer Shack only operate between Thursday 2pm and Sunday 5pm - the wiring for the QL Scart cable is shown here https://www.retrocomputershack.com/SCAR ... index.html
Thanks, that shows a change in wiring from mine. That diagram shows five resistors, whereas on the one they supplied me only 4 resistors, there is no resistor between the orange cable and pin 16.
I dimly remember that they changed the cable to fix a problem with SGC, that change might be related to it. There was a thread in the forum many years ago.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Morning Dilwyn,
dilwyn wrote:No shops selling components around here, so I might order another cable from them as it'd be handy to have a second lead for the other QL anyway.
what value of resistor do you need? I have a box of the things, various values. Most are 1/4 watt and quite small - so should fit into a SCART connector. I'll send you a couple in the post. If tolerance is important I have 5% and 1%.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
M68008
Trump Card

Post by M68008 »

Ammunition for some QL and Q-emuLator projects:
QLGC.jpg

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Well, given up with the Simple Video Scalar and conclude it doesn't work with QL.

Tried all the different wirings, even used the wiring the late Lee Privett/Mr Navigator used when he published the article about it.

The Simple Video Scalar device works with everything else such as DVD players attached to it.

The QL with all of the cables work fine on all TV sets it was connected to. QL just won't work with the Simple Video Scalar and JS Technology haven't been able to help.

Conclusion: DON'T BUY THIS DEVICE.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

M68008 wrote:Ammunition for some QL and Q-emuLator projects:
Good to see you tinkering again :-)

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

mk79 wrote:
dilwyn wrote:
I dimly remember that they changed the cable to fix a problem with SGC, that change might be related to it. There was a thread in the forum many years ago.
Yeah I reported the SGC problem to them and AFAIK they fixed the cable in later ones!

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

XorA wrote:
mk79 wrote:
dilwyn wrote: Thanks, that shows a change in wiring from mine. That diagram shows five resistors, whereas on the one they supplied me only 4 resistors, there is no resistor between the orange cable and pin 16.
Yeah I reported the SGC problem to them and AFAIK they fixed the cable in later ones!
Yes, the mod is indicated on the label on the cable when it arrived. Do you happen to remember what the specific issue was when a Super Gold Card was plugged in?

On my Gold Card QL both the original 1.1 and the new 1.3 cables work fine without any visible difference in picture quality.