Today I Received...

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: Today I Received...

Post by dilwyn »

...a JS Technology Ltd Simple Video Scalar (QL version). Here are some pictures:
svscalar1.jpg
svscalar2.jpg
svscalar3.jpg
svscalar4.jpg
svscalar5.jpg
I specifically asked for the QL version, and the Sales Receipt is marked "QL Firmware" and "Spec B", although I don't know what the differences (if any) are with the original version. Their website implies "Imporved (sic) picture sharpness. Added compatibility with a selection of input signal types."

It arrived quickly and well packaged. 2 day delivery! That package is too big for a standard letterbox. They send an email to let you know when it's being despatched, so you'll have a good idea of when to be home to take delivery.

They say it accepts PAL and NTSC inputs, and converts Composite, S-Video, RGB SCART, RGsB Sync-on-green or Component (YPbPr), converting to VGA PC type signal, with a single button to change video input modes. It deinterlaces the input signal of 480i and 576i, outputting progressive equivalent 480p and 576p. Note, VGA only output, no HDMI for example. Video input/output cables are not included with it, but the company say they can supply some types to order. I hope the ones I already have will be suitable. The audio output is two phonos - stereo audio directly passed from SCART input according to the little 4-page manual.

Won't have time to try it out until the weekend, but will report back on how it works and if it manages to upscale the full 512pixel/85 characters QL screen as it claims. Also, how it compares with the little unbranded SCART-HDMI upscaler I already have.

Price paid was £49.16+VAT tax, and £4.96+VAT for UPS courier shipping.

EDIT: Here's their website address: http://www.js-technology.com/store/prod ... product=56

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Today I received this:
SCART-RCA.jpg
...but I ordered this:
SCART-RCA-Svideo.jpg
Can you spot the difference...

Oh, and the listing specifically said "RGB Scart to Composite 3RCA S-Video AV" so it wasn't just a "wrong picture" issue.

Of course after I bought this I realized it's just a cable, not a RGB SCART to S-Video converter. Still, they ought to at least give me the thing they advertised.

SinclairSociety
Trump Card

Post by SinclairSociety »

Oh... I am watching this space...
So am I correct this may be a purchasable today device that we can all purchase, connect to a stock QL display port, and feeds to a any VGA display and will show all stock QL resolutions... and no loss of last 2 characters?
Does the VGA display need to be any special khz or any standard is fine?
Hope it works!
TJ

dilwyn wrote:...a JS Technology Ltd Simple Video Scalar (QL version). Here are some pictures:
svscalar1.jpg
svscalar2.jpg
svscalar3.jpg
svscalar4.jpg
svscalar5.jpg

I specifically asked for the QL version, and the Sales Receipt is marked "QL Firmware" and "Spec B", although I don't know what the differences (if any) are with the original version. Their website implies "Imporved (sic) picture sharpness. Added compatibility with a selection of input signal types."

It arrived quickly and well packaged. 2 day delivery! That package is too big for a standard letterbox. They send an email to let you know when it's being despatched, so you'll have a good idea of when to be home to take delivery.

They say it accepts PAL and NTSC inputs, and converts Composite, S-Video, RGB SCART, RGsB Sync-on-green or Component (YPbPr), converting to VGA PC type signal, with a single button to change video input modes. It deinterlaces the input signal of 480i and 576i, outputting progressive equivalent 480p and 576p. Note, VGA only output, no HDMI for example. Video input/output cables are not included with it, but the company say they can supply some types to order. I hope the ones I already have will be suitable. The audio output is two phonos - stereo audio directly passed from SCART input according to the little 4-page manual.

Won't have time to try it out until the weekend, but will report back on how it works and if it manages to upscale the full 512pixel/85 characters QL screen as it claims. Also, how it compares with the little unbranded SCART-HDMI upscaler I already have.

Price paid was £49.16+VAT tax, and £4.96+VAT for UPS courier shipping.

EDIT: Here's their website address: http://www.js-technology.com/store/prod ... product=56

Sinclair Computers are AWESOME!!
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

dilwyn wrote:Price paid was £49.16+VAT tax, and £4.96+VAT for UPS courier shipping.
Well, I could have given you a QL-VGA for less ;)

Their page doesn't really tell much, not even what the output format is. Weird.

Cheers, Marcel

SinclairSociety
Trump Card

Post by SinclairSociety »

mk79 wrote:
dilwyn wrote:Price paid was £49.16+VAT tax, and £4.96+VAT for UPS courier shipping.

Cheers, Marcel
Will you be making and selling the QL-VGA in 2020 by chance?
TJ

Sinclair Computers are AWESOME!!
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

I'd say this is highly likely, yes. At least 20 boards will be built because I already ordered the parts ;)

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

mk79 wrote:I'd say this is highly likely, yes. At least 20 boards will be built because I already ordered the parts ;)
I would say that 20 boards will be too few for all waiting for one !

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

mk79 wrote:

Cheers, Marcel
Oh, you will be supplying me with a QL-VGA at some point all the same. I just needed this now, plus I'd wanted one of these devices for some time, the prie being what held me back.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Andrew wrote:
mk79 wrote:I'd say this is highly likely, yes. At least 20 boards will be built because I already ordered the parts ;)
I would say that 20 boards will be too few for all waiting for one !
The first run is mostly for the German ZX meeting where we can try the boards live and in person. If that turns out well there will surely be more. But first let's see how business in China will continue after the shutdown as my PCB manufacturer is also partly affected.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

...my Q68. Wow was it well packed. Thank you Derek!
Q68.jpg
What surprised me was the size of it. Here is a comparison between it and one of the original Raspberry Pis (Model 1 B):
Q68 vs Pi1B.jpg
I imagined it to be something like twice as big. I'm very happy that it is this smaller size. It's going to make designing a case much simpler than I thought since it'll be easier to print.

Unfortunately I didn't bring a PS2 keyboard with me so I will have to wait until mid-week to play with it. Plus I'll need to power it, etc. So in the meantime I will just read up on everything.