FML...

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
Dave
SandySuperQDave

FML...

Post by Dave »

Sorry for being quiet the last couple of weeks.

We changed home insurance companies. The new company came and inspected the house and cancelled the policy. Nobody would insure us unless we made some repairs/updates. Particularly, they required we install a new roof ($9,500+) and remediate some 'dry rot' (ie: fix the siding the dog chewed on)...

Well, then our mortgage company let us know that if we DIDN'T do these things, they would seek repossession of the house for not having home insurance.

Since I didn't have $13,000 - $16,000 for contractors to come in and do it, I had no choice but to do it myself. Yes, I spent 14 days tearing off the old shingles, making repairs, and putting on a new roof. I had two days of help from a neighbor who took pity on me. I also removed the siding on the affected part of the back of the house and replaced it, installed a new vapor barrier, and put Hardie siding over that. Hardie is a cement fibre product that lasts forever and never rots.

So here I am. I ache. My knee is shot, but I just did those $15,000 or so of repairs for under $3,000 and some sweat equity. I have a 40 year roof, the best siding you can get, and I managed to get it done before it got REALLY hot here in Texas.

And now I have new insurance in place, and it is $600/year cheaper than the old policy for 2x the coverage. So, the repairs should pay for themselves in around 5 years. Or less. I replaced the dark brown shingles with EnergyStar white heat rejecting shingles that make the roof about 10C cooler.

Next week, I will blow R60 of insulation into the attic, and really cut those summer AC bills.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Re: FML...

Post by NormanDunbar »

You could always move! :D :D :D :D :D

Sorry.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

You can't sell a house that's got repossession notice filed against it. Repossession for a technical infringement, when I have never made a late payment on my mortgage, well, that's a sucky mortgage company. It's even tougher because my home has literally doubled in sale value in 24 months, due to all the Californians moving here and soaking up all the housing stock.

So sorry if I'm sensitive about keeping my roof over my head - especially since it is now literally my roof, that I made ;)

PS: It's passed the rain test already :)

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

It takes a brave man to fix his own roof...

Mind you - weren't you tempted to turn some of the shingles into a huge QL keyboard?? You could have captured the input from the rain and seen if it was a message ....

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

RWAP wrote:Mind you - weren't you tempted to turn some of the shingles into a huge QL keyboard?
No. But while limping through IKEA, I did see a trash can that would have made an awesome computer case.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I just fired up my PCB design tools for the first time in a few days. After archiving two (maybe three) projects as not pursuable, I feel like my plate isn't over full now.

So priority one is the 4MB RAM card, which is *so* close, and priority two is, well, not the RAM card.