Mr. Spock and the final fronteer

Tell us about your other hobbies & none QL related items here :)
Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Re: Mr. Spock and the final fronteer

Post by Mr_Navigator »

1024MAK wrote:To be honest, the new Star Trek films were not as bad as I was expecting :shock: .

Having been a long time fan of TOS, the films staring the crew of TOS, TNG, the films with the NG crew, DS9 and Voyager, but not that keen on Enterprise, I was not surprised that the "modern" films were different.

If you set aside the changes that they have made, I actually enjoyed the two that have been released so far. And the next film is currently in production.

The most annoying thing for me, is the general lack of good Sci-Fi on TV and it's not much better with films either :evil: .

Mark
But unfortunately not J J ABrams, despite what people say about him I like his approach to films, I seriously hope he does Star Wars justice and not ep1 ep2 ep3 like.

On the subject of the late Leonard Nimoy
His role Star Trek as Mr Spock, what did he do that was then science fiction?

He communicated via small hand held devices - we have those now
He spoke to a computer with voice commands - we have that now
His computer replied back in a female voice - we have that now
He looked at a blue lit thing that was connected with everything in the ship somehow - Bluetooth
He was able to record anything on the ship - webcam
He kept all his computer "tapes" on tiny little plastic squares (both audio and video) - we have that too
His comrade in arms Dr McCoy originally used a device that could read lots of medical type data from a person without touching them - that now exists

Transporters - well there has been three films, however not sci-fi

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Mr_Navigator wrote:
On the subject of the late Leonard Nimoy
His role Star Trek as Mr Spock, what did he do that was then science fiction?
Universal translator
Sonic shower
Phaser guns
Photon torpedoes
Mind fusion through alien species
Gravity and anti-gravity generators
Red matter
Black holes creation
Warp drive
Time travels....

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

Mr_Navigator wrote:His role Star Trek as Mr Spock, what did he do that was then science fiction?

He communicated via small hand held devices - we have those now
He spoke to a computer with voice commands - we have that now
His computer replied back in a female voice - we have that now
He looked at a blue lit thing that was connected with everything in the ship somehow - Bluetooth
He was able to record anything on the ship - webcam
He kept all his computer "tapes" on tiny little plastic squares (both audio and video) - we have that too
His comrade in arms Dr McCoy originally used a device that could read lots of medical type data from a person without touching them - that now exists

Transporters - well there has been three films, however not sci-fi
Well now, prior to 1980's...
Small hand held mobile telephones did not exist. But you could get short range radios that had a very limited battery life.
Computers could not recognise spoken voice commands.
Computers could just about speak, but either the number of words was very limited, or the voice they used was very clearly artificial.
Bluetooth and wifi did not exist. Remote control had to either be via physical cables or via a slow AM or FM radio link.
Data tapes - the only small computer storage system was the Sinclair Microdrive :-), prior to that none of the storage systems were what you could call small.
Even on aircraft, trains and ships today that have CCTV, not everywhere is recorded. Handheld recording devices in the 1970's were impractical for one person to use - you needed an operator.

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)