Hello and thanks for building up this QL Forum

Introduce yourself here!
Oliver
ROM Dongle

Hello and thanks for building up this QL Forum

Post by Oliver »

First let me express that I was really delighted when I saw this very nice forum. Hopefully, it will become the place to go for the scattered QL community.

The QL was my second computer after the Spectrum. I was (and still am) fascinated by the elegant design, and learned structured programming using SuperBASIC. I also did 68K assembly language, but my main interest was computer hardware, so I started to build GAL and EPROM programmers as expansions to my QL.

A highlight of my hardware tinkering was when I used a simple self-made logic-analyser attached to the QL's expansion port to analyse the QL's video timing (philosophically a kind of QL-self-reflection ;) ). I really wanted to see how the video timing works, but had no access to something like an oscilloscope.

The last serious task for my QL computer was in 1994 when I used it in my studies - of course I have switched to Windows and Linux machines. However, as said, I am still fascinated by this elegant black box.

Oliver

robheaton
Site Admin

Re: Hello and thanks for building up this QL Forum

Post by robheaton »

Hi Oliver,
Welcome to the forum!

It's nice to see the forum beginning to grow, we are hoping that the forum brings the QL community together, as a central place for discussion, that is open to all!

Do you still have your QL or are you working with emulators these days?

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Welcome Oliver - could I trouble you to send me your email address and I will add it to the ql-users mailing list (if you want to be kept informed) - I may already have it :-)

Oliver
ROM Dongle

Post by Oliver »

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Hi Rob,

yes I still have my QL. Somehow I do not like emulators too much, maybe because I still like to see the original hardware working.

Hi Rich,

most probably you already have my address as I have purchased some QL spare parts from RWAP shop last year.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Thank you for the kind comments and welcome! I know what you mean about using the original hardware too. :D

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Oliver wrote: most probably you already have my address as I have purchased some QL spare parts from RWAP shop last year.
In that case, yes I will have your address, thankyou

Rich

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

After reading a few of these I though it was about time I added my own history.

My first venture in to Sinclair world was at work where a colleague brought in the MK14, I then bought the kit form ZX81, then the Spectrum, then the QL, after some 20 odd years I have come back to the QL, still enjoy the hardware but tend to program on one of the emulators. Would really love to see a new hardware based QL and would support anyone who wants to go that route, in anyway shape or form (as much as I can) I know a little electronics and SuperBasic programming.

One of my small projects is to get back to what I used to have as my QL setup including the software (I sold all my original QL stuff), the main problem is remembering what I used to have.

Reading some of the posts this evening, a flash of memory about some software I had used to have that allowed my to make sprites and control them, I think they were 64x64 grid size but I could be wrong, and I cannot remember the software that allowed me to create them either, is anyone got any ideas?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

There were a few sprite programs so far as I recall

Super Sprite Generator by Digital Precision is probably the best known one....

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Do you have any details or screen shots at all?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/