Wotcha QL dudes

Introduce yourself here!
JonB
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Wotcha QL dudes

Post by JonB »

Hi, new user here.

I have recently acquired a QL for no apparent reason other than curiosity. I have a pretty varied collection of microcomputers, both 8 and 16 bits including some Speccys, Memotech and Acorn machines, and I fancied the QL, especially the look of it. The serial number starts D16 so I assume this is one of the later Samsung manufactured models, with properly sorted microdrives. I have not taken delivery yet but I know it is not working properly and I hope it is just a matter of the keyboard membrane; if not it'll be out with the soldering iron!

I've been doing a bit of reading up on this forum and other places and it looks like the most worthwhile upgrade is a Trump Card, so I will be keeping an eye out for one. I definitely don't want to have to rely on the microdrives. I have one for the Speccy and it did not take long for the first catastrophic failure (on the Sinclair welcome / demo cartridge, no less :cry: ). On the other hand, I do have quite a few old floppies and drives lying about...

My background is software engineering and I have been programming for over 30 years. I recall the anticipation at the announcement of the QL although of course I couldn't afford one at the time.

In case this story seems familiar, know that I am also active on stardot.org.uk and atari-forum.com as well as 6502.com where I go by the same username.

Looking forward to a voyage of QL discovery!

Cheers

JonB

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Wotcha QL dudes

Post by vanpeebles »

Hello and welcome to the forum! I think you will find the QL a very interesting and quirky machine :geek: You are right on the drives front though, you really need a floppy drive setup to get the best from it.

Any questions, don't be afraid to ask :)

JonB
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by JonB »

Ok, thanks. Here's my second question: anyone got a disk interface to sell? :lol:

dex
Gold Card

Post by dex »

pop in to SellMyRetro.com and check on the auctions. There is a Gold Card for £255, a maxed out Trump Card, £137.50

JonB
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by JonB »

Sorry, I meant "not for silly money". Last one on eBay went for £40....

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

As the seller, I know it's silly money. I'm dropping the price a little over time because they're fundraising sales for new QL hardware development.

Part of the need for new hardware is to keep things affordable and reliable.

JonB
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by JonB »

Hi Dave

PM me with a price and I will be happy to consider it. Postage to UK though..

What hardware are you trying to finance? Something interesting?

Cheers

JonB

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

If you saw a 768k trump card for £40 then that was a super bargain :)