Hello

Introduce yourself here!
Samuel Pepys
ROM Dongle

Hello

Post by Samuel Pepys »

Hello to all members.

I'm a total novice when it comes to the QL but have taken the plunge and am currently awaiting delivery of my first machine from Rich Mellor. I'm looking forward to exploring the machine over the next few months and I'm pretty certain I'll be posting on this forum with various requests for advice as I try to get to grips with it.

My experience of Sinclair machines never went any further than game playing on the ZX81 and Spectrum - during the mid 80s I then went down the Commodore route of 64s and Amigas. I do still own 48 and 128K+2 Spectrums but a recent-ish article in 'Retrogamer' magazine sparked my interest in the QL and through RWAP I've finally gotten round to owning one.

That's my starting point...

Simon

robheaton
Site Admin

Re: Hello

Post by robheaton »

Hi Simon,
Welcome to the forum! :)

I've only been a QL user for 3 or 4 weeks, and also went the 'Commodore' route!
Please feel free to ask any questions, (No matter how silly you think they might be!)

Hope you enjoy the QL as much as I am!

Rob.

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Welcome! 8-) What are your plans for the QL?

Samuel Pepys
ROM Dongle

Post by Samuel Pepys »

First of all I'll be immersing myself in the accompanying manual to see if I can move my BASIC programming beyond the circles that I used to proudly create on my Dragon 32. Oh, and keeping an eye out for the odd copy of 'The Pawn' - understanding the complexities of the machine might be easier than getting hold of a copy of the game!

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Samuel Pepys wrote:First of all I'll be immersing myself in the accompanying manual to see if I can move my BASIC programming beyond the circles that I used to proudly create on my Dragon 32. Oh, and keeping an eye out for the odd copy of 'The Pawn' - understanding the complexities of the machine might be easier than getting hold of a copy of the game!
Glad the QL got to you OK - the BASIC (SuperBASIC) takes some getting used to when moving from other BASICs, but you will soon find it very powerful - there are plenty of books around to help you learn the tricks of PROCedures and FuNctions.

One of these days I will have to go delving into my storage lockers and fetch out all the copies of the Pawn, but only if they fetch a good price... (JUST KIDDING FOLKS)

I wonder whatever happened to all the old stocks of QL software produced by Sinclair - was it trashed I wonder, or just shoved into storage like all the returned QLs ?

That reminds me of how Bill Richardson obtained a large amount of stock (he traded as WN Richardson & Co, or EEC Limited) - apparently, when Sinclair got taken over he was approached and asked if he wanted to acquire some Sinclair stocks - he was shown a warehouse full of returned spectrums and QLs - many of them just needed new keyboard membranes! I don't know if he acquired the lot, or just some, but it makes you wonder...

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

I'd like to think there are still boxes of goodies tucked away in storerooms or warehouses. A bit like where the ark goes on Indy Jones :geek: