Introduce yourself here!
1xmxx40w
ROM Dongle

Post by 1xmxx40w »

I used to use a Sinclair QL many years ago and have now got it out of the cupboard once more. But I've encountered two problems immediately and don't know what's happening. When the Quill cartridge is run, it gets so far and records something like - problem (or error or similar) at line 8. It does not seem able to complete the process. But - having tuned into an old style tv (which brought up the correct screen on channel 19) I switched the TV off and the Sinclair computer (after some hours) and now channel 19 has flashing lines on it and I can't get the proper image. Though if I run Quill with the usual command, I hear it running (probably stopping at the 'line 8' issue - but I can't see it now owing to not being able to get the picture on screen all of a sudden. Maybe it's damaged the tv set, but aside from that, is the fault likely to lie with the Quill load-up cartridge or the computer/keyboard itself. If the former, is a replacement copy of Quill available for purchase? I'm not at all sure what to do about getting a picture now - maybe I'll have to get hold of another TV and try that.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: new member

Post by tofro »

Welcome!

You might first try some obvios things:

[*]Cables properly connected? No wires broken or anything?
[*]Does the QL come up properly without a cartridge in any drive?

If you dare to, you could open up the QL and check all ICs sit properly in their sockets. Sometimes there is corrosion between the IC pins and the sockets, especially when the QL has not been used for a long time. Just gently push every IC down into its socket.
If you're even more daring, you could try to carefully remove and re-insert the ICs.

If nothing helps, I fear the magic smoke driving the ULA has evaporated.....

Regards,
Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Good advice there from tofro - you may also need a new MC1377P chip (it sits in a socket behind mdv1_)

As for the Quill cartridge - it is probably just a corrupt microdrive cartridge (I bet the felt pad at the top of the cartridge (between the plastic and the tape) is worn...

I can supply newly made up copies of the standard software (as well as the MC1377P chip) to get you going.

1xmxx40w
ROM Dongle

Post by 1xmxx40w »

The screen that came up was the full rectangle, as opposed to the split screen that's meant for a monitor. But for some reason (on channel 19 on this tv I've got) - i.e. the tuning channel, it's just showing lines similar to the markings on a Zebra. But even though I can't see any proper screen image, when I run the command Lrun mdv1_boot with the quill cartridge in, the tape runs for a while, but I suspect is stopping at some point without completing the sequence - certainly, that's what it was doing when channel 19 was tuning in correctly. (And I can't remember the exact error message now either, though it had the word 'bad' in it.

How much would a sound copy of Quill be? The connecting wires seem ok - but maybe a new quill cartridge and a different tv (or monitor) would throw more light. (Pardon my novice use of terminology - I'm not at all au-fait with the technicalities).

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I charge £4 plus postage for a copy of Quill - mainly because of the time it takes to make a working copy !!

1xmxx40w
ROM Dongle

Post by 1xmxx40w »

Rich,

That sounds very reasonable. How do I go about getting one from you?

David

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

1xmxx40w wrote:The screen that came up was the full rectangle, as opposed to the split screen that's meant for a monitor. But for some reason (on channel 19 on this tv I've got) - i.e. the tuning channel, it's just showing lines similar to the markings on a Zebra. But even though I can't see any proper screen image, when I run the command Lrun mdv1_boot with the quill cartridge in, the tape runs for a while, but I suspect is stopping at some point without completing the sequence - certainly, that's what it was doing when channel 19 was tuning in correctly. (And I can't remember the exact error message now either, though it had the word 'bad' in it.

How much would a sound copy of Quill be? The connecting wires seem ok - but maybe a new quill cartridge and a different tv (or monitor) would throw more light. (Pardon my novice use of terminology - I'm not at all au-fait with the technicalities).
Welcome 1xmxx40w, you might want to try and get hold of a monitor cable and try connecting up via the SCART connection, a quick look on eBay may even provide a cheap monitor although many that have appeared recently require you to collect in person.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/