Hello from the demo scene!

Introduce yourself here!
spkr
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Hello from the demo scene!

Post by spkr »

Hi there guys,

By accident I came across a Sinclair QL here in the Netherlands. They don't turn up that often here, let alone for a reasonable prize. But when I saw one on our local internet 2nd hand market, I took a shot and it was a hit!

My first computer experience was a ZX spectrum, and the Atari st followed after that. Around 2013 nostalgia struck me, and I re-obtained the spectrum and after that the St again. Following these acquisitions I got acquainted with the demo scene, and I started to code on the Atari st. I've been quite actively honing my m68k and atari coding skills, to a point where I've become more and more interested in other platforms as well.

Following the past years of Atari coding ( https://demozoo.org/sceners/37824/ ) I've obtained a dozen of the home computers of that era, and I'm planning to code for them sooner or later. Since December 2020 I've taken up 8088 assembly, and I plan to take up 6502 assembly in the 2nd half of this year.

Considering that the QL is using the same instruction set as the Atari, I expec to be able to squeeze out some code fortl the QL this year as well, it would certainly be interesting how the routines I've been optimizing for the Atari hold up against the QL ;) the machine seems very nice, and I'm sad to see only 2 productions for it known at drmoscene circles.

For the home computers I own, i moved away from the use of their original media. If possible I'm using SD card or network based storage, but Notting beats running code on the actual machine ;) since the vdrives are out of stock, I am considering buying a tetroid so that I can test my code on actual hardware.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Hello from the demo scene!

Post by vanpeebles »

Welcome to the forum! I need to try some of those demos on my ste! Looking forward to seeing how you get on :)

spkr
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by spkr »

Have a look at our Triptych `pulse' (2015), `execution' (2017) and `motus' (2019), they show nice progression!

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Welcome! I'm sad too to see so few demoes for QL. The QL scene does need people like you! I'm really looking forward to seeing some new demo.
Do you know there's also a "Bad Apple demo" for QL?

spkr
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by spkr »

Cristian wrote:Welcome! I'm sad too to see so few demoes for QL. The QL scene does need people like you! I'm really looking forward to seeing some new demo.
No I didnt, would you please link!? :)

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

spkr wrote:
Cristian wrote:Welcome! I'm sad too to see so few demoes for QL. The QL scene does need people like you! I'm really looking forward to seeing some new demo.
No I didnt, would you please link!? :)
https://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php ... e&start=70