Hello!

Introduce yourself here!
DanDoore
ROM Dongle

Hello!

Post by DanDoore »

I remember seeing a QL in the flesh for the first time at the All Formats Computer Fair in Leeds 1st November 1992 (University Sports Hall), it was on one of the stalls and had a Miracle Gold Card in it and I was intrigued by the gold heatsink poking out the side but being a skint student it wasn't something on the agenda.

Spool forward a couple of decades and my midlife-crisis-on-a-budget was to get back into a bit of electronics and tinkering with old computer hardware but I've always been in two minds about getting a QL but after a few too many gins I now have one to add to my collection :)

Looking forward (as I do with all new machines) in getting to know and expanding it possibly with vDrive, possibly with a Tetriod interface and a Gotek but I need to go and find out what's best for a casual software/gaming user.

2 x QL (Tetroid SGC, GC, TrumpCard, vDrive)
dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: Hello!

Post by dilwyn »

Welcome to the gang. Don't be afraid to ask questions, we try to be a helpful and friendly lot (usually!) on here.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Hi DanDoore,
DanDoore wrote:I remember seeing a QL in the flesh for the first time at the All Formats Computer Fair in Leeds 1st November 1992 (University Sports Hall)....
Welcome to the madhouse! It's fun here. ;)

Are you still in Leeds? I'm Leeds based myself at the moment, although I'm originally from the proper North! Head north until your feet get wet, then back up 5 miles!

Take care and enjoy your QL.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Welcome! Nice collection! :D

DanDoore
ROM Dongle

Post by DanDoore »

NormanDunbar wrote:
Are you still in Leeds? I'm Leeds based myself at the moment, although I'm originally from the proper North! Head north until your feet get wet, then back up 5 miles!
I've slid 25 miles west in the last decade, now in York but work (when not in lockdown) in Leeds still.

Dan.

2 x QL (Tetroid SGC, GC, TrumpCard, vDrive)
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Not too far away then.

We (MrsD and me) often visit York, but obviously, not recently. Still, maybe some time in the next 25 years, we might be able to again!

Take care.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Welcome. I am sure that you will enjoy the QL.

So... 21 Spectrums?!!! Ye gods. I've got 4 and thought I was addicted, but... :D

And - Leeds 1992? I studied in Leeds but left in '91, but if you were there before 92 too possibly our paths crossed - probably when trying to get a beer at the Old Bar ;)

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Welcome to the forum. I like my vDrive...I just recently realized that it's sort of the GoTek of microdrives since they both emulate that particular drive and authentic speed. There's another SD mechanisms that's internal and requires taking the cover off but I think easy to install. We'll eventually get an external ROM add-on similar to the internal one...both of those will give more disk (err memory) space and be faster, but vDrive is very handy and will augment that nicely.