Page 1 of 2

Hello from France

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:45 pm
by Patrick
Hi,
I am Patrick from Clermont-Ferrand in France.
I just got today a shiny Sinclair QL and I registered to find more information about it.
After some readings, I think that it is safe to switch it on.
I will just check the PSU before.
A nice addition to my collection :D.
Regards,

Re: Hello from France

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:58 pm
by vanpeebles
A very warm welcome to the forum! When ever I plug in unknown computers for the first time, I make this face >_<

Re: Hello from France

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:10 pm
by Chr$
Patrick wrote:Hi,
I am Patrick from Clermont-Ferrand in France.
I just got today a shiny Sinclair QL and I registered to find more information about it.
After some readings, I think that it is safe to switch it on.
I will just check the PSU before.
A nice addition to my collection :D.
Regards,

Is it a French one, with AZERTY keyboard? Just out of interest. Not many of those about.

Re: Hello from France

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:19 pm
by NormanDunbar
Hello, and welcome.

Hopefully you'l'l have fun here, and with the QL.


Cheers,
Norm.

Re: Hello from France

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:41 pm
by Patrick
Thank you for your welcome.
My QL is a QWERTY one.
The serial number is D09-022755 (I don't know if it is significant).
So yesterday, I checked the PSU, no problem, then I plugged the QL on my TV in UHF.
The orange LED light on and I search for a display. In automatic search, my TV found a good image, but didn't register it. In manual, impossible to have it.
So I quickly soldered a composite cable and I had the startup screen with press F1 or F2.
But no key is working. Known problem so I ordered today a new keyboard membrane and a SCART cable.
But I am very happy because it seems that the QL is working pretty well apart the keyboard.
Next thing will be to check the microdrive.
What is the best way to connect floppy/Gotek or SD, with may be a decent RAM/ROM extension?
Is it possible to buy these kind of interface? I looked at Sellmyretro and there is no hardware of this kind available.

Re: Hello from France

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:16 pm
by Patrick
Ok. I found why the keyboard does not work: the membrane is missing :D
The problem is that the screws for the metal plate are also missing.
Do you know a source for replacement ?

Re: Hello from France

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:50 pm
by Chr$
Patrick wrote:Thank you for your welcome.
My QL is a QWERTY one.
The serial number is D09-022755 (I don't know if it is significant).
So yesterday, I checked the PSU, no problem, then I plugged the QL on my TV in UHF.
The orange LED light on and I search for a display. In automatic search, my TV found a good image, but didn't register it. In manual, impossible to have it.
So I quickly soldered a composite cable and I had the startup screen with press F1 or F2.
But no key is working. Known problem so I ordered today a new keyboard membrane and a SCART cable.
But I am very happy because it seems that the QL is working pretty well apart the keyboard.
Next thing will be to check the microdrive.
What is the best way to connect floppy/Gotek or SD, with may be a decent RAM/ROM extension?
Is it possible to buy these kind of interface? I looked at Sellmyretro and there is no hardware of this kind available.

The seller of those devices (Tetroid) is currently having a break, mainly due to Covid I think and things were taking a while to arrive. He'll be back!

I may be able to find some suitable screws for you. I'll have a look tomorrow.

Re: Hello from France

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:32 am
by Derek_Stewart
Patrick wrote:Ok. I found why the keyboard does not work: the membrane is missing :D
The problem is that the screws for the metal plate are also missing.
Do you know a source for replacement ?

Hi Patrick,

The keyboard membrane can be supplied from Sellmyretro:

https://www.sellmyretro.com/category/retro-computers/sinclair/sinclair-ql/components

I note there are a set of screws available.

Failing this I can supply the keyboard bottom plate and the correct chrome coloured securing screws for £5.00 plus postage

Note: the Aluminium Keyboard plate to secure the Keyboard Membrane to the keyboard, should be chrome screes, if there are Black screws, then these are the wrong screws. Black screws for the external part of the case.

Re: Hello from France

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:26 pm
by Patrick
Hi Chr$, Hi Derek,
The TDI seems to be a nice extension, exactly what I expected. I will watch Tetroid comeback on Sellmyretro.
The membrane is allready ordered with other stuff but this time from Retrocables in Spain.
I have the metal plate. Only the screws are missing.
For the case I need also one long and one medium screws but I have seen that a whole set can be ordered from various suppliers.
If one of you can supply the missing screws, It will be great!

Re: Hello from France

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:41 pm
by Chr$
Patrick wrote:Hi Chr$, Hi Derek,
The TDI seems to be a nice extension, exactly what I expected. I will watch Tetroid comeback on Sellmyretro.
The membrane is allready ordered with other stuff but this time from Retrocables in Spain.
I have the metal plate. Only the screws are missing.
For the case I need also one long and one medium screws but I have seen that a whole set can be ordered from various suppliers.
If one of you can supply the missing screws, It will be great!

I can probably find the right screw size, but they won't be the correct silver coloured ones. Get them from Derek (perhaps he can also send you the missing case screws).