Hello from France

Introduce yourself here!
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Hello from France

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Patrick,

I have sent you the screws as requested.

The keyboard retaining plate should be secured as shown below:
QL Keyboard Matrix Securing plate
QL Keyboard Matrix Securing plate

Regards,

Derek
Patrick
ROM Dongle

Post by Patrick »

Hello Derek,
Thank you. It's perfect!

Patrick
Outsoft
Super Gold Card

Post by Outsoft »

Patrick wrote:Hi,
I am Patrick from Clermont-Ferrand in France.
I just got today a shiny Sinclair QL and I registered to find more information about it.
After some readings, I think that it is safe to switch it on.
I will just check the PSU before.
A nice addition to my collection :D.
Regards,
No way to find the original french version of Mortville Manor? ;)

Patrick
ROM Dongle

Post by Patrick »

Sorry, but I have only a bridge game.
And I didn't test any microdrive yet.
I am still waiting for a keyboard membrane.

Patrick
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Patrick wrote:Sorry, but I have only a bridge game.
And I didn't test any microdrive yet.
I am still waiting for a keyboard membrane.
PM your address Patrick and I'll send you some re-felted and practically new cartridges with a few games on them just to get you going (and you can just format them and use as blanks when you get bored).

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Patrick
ROM Dongle

Post by Patrick »

Thank you for your kind offer.
Membrane is on its way (it comes from Retrocable in Spain and they took additional time to make some cables).
To be perfectly clear I have the 4 standard microdrives (Quill, Archive, Abacus and Easel) but only one game.
I have also 3 mircrodrives without label: so I need to wait for the membrane, install it and see if the microdrives work, both drives and cartridges.
Who knows, with a bit of luck, there is Le Manoir de Mortevielle on one of them :D

Patrick
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Patrick wrote:Thank you for your kind offer.
Membrane is on its way (it comes from Retrocable in Spain and they took additional time to make some cables).
To be perfectly clear I have the 4 standard microdrives (Quill, Archive, Abacus and Easel) but only one game.
I have also 3 mircrodrives without label: so I need to wait for the membrane, install it and see if the microdrives work, both drives and cartridges.
Who knows, with a bit of luck, there is Le Manoir de Mortevielle on one of them :D
Refelt the old ones before you even try them though, or there is a risk that bits of the sponge will enter the cartridge and ruin the content.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Patrick
ROM Dongle

Post by Patrick »

Hello,
The membrane and a SCART cable are finally here.
Is there a guide for refurbishing of the QL?
Can the keys be unmount for cleaning and washing or is it better to let them on in place. I don't want to break something.
Same thing for trhe microdrives. Chr$, can you please give me more detailed information?
Thank you all.

Patrick
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

The small keys just pull off. The space bar has a wire and the enter might do. Can't remember off hand. You can always pull the small ones off first and see how much it needs cleaning :)

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

QL keyboard mechanics (once the rubber mat and the membrane are removed) is pretty robust. I tend to put the whole thing in the dishwasher (at 55°C) without actually further dismantling it and have had good results by now. Once dry, I tend to treat the complete mechanics with a decent spray of silicon spray (Car "cockpit spray") from the underside to give it a bit of lubrication, slightly working in by moving keys, then wipe off.

I wouldn't recommend the same treatment for the microdrive ;)

Give it a decent cleaning with cotton buds and IPA (Isopropyl alcohol), concentrating on the heads and the rubber drive roller. If you have, treat the rubber roller specifically with tetraflourethylene (toxic) or an alternative rubber cleaning liquid. Make sure there's 0.3-0.5mm clearance between the rubber roller and the washer underneath. If the rubber roller shows sign of wear, replace it (replacements are hard to come by) or simply remove it and turn it upside down.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO